Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, off topic thread: guns

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, off topic thread: guns

First of all apologies for the LR unrelated post, BUT I have read you guys talk about guns on here before and thought I would ask the question here.

I have never owned a gun, shot some at a military range while in college and was looking at going to a range with my wife. We are both interested in learning how to shoot, you never know what life throws at you... Plus since we are planning some extensive travel in our DII it is good to have the knowledge. Anyway, just called a local shooting range and they told me i need to do a safety course first. No problem, very understandable. Then he said I can rent a gun $10. I can shoot for 2 hours $15.

Here's my question, he said he doesn't have any amo, only .45. He blamed it on the current administration. Can anybody tell me why amo is in short supply? Can you normally buy amo and bring it in? Are you experiencing the same problems? Just curious... BTW, this is not to initiate a conversation on politics and who prefers what, just a question for my edification.

Cheers!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Ammo is in short supply because everyone is stock piling all the ammo they can get their hands on. Ammo is short everywhere.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Are we expecting an alien invasion? Or a ban on guns? If there is a ban, do we all need to hand in our guns? Is it different by state, or is this a federal thing?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uncertainty in gun rights with liberals in control of the white house and congress. A lot of people are buying while they still can, driving up prices. Liberals know they will have a difficult fight infringing on people's 2nd amendment rights but an easier objective taxing ammunition out of existence.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:46 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why the shortage on ammo???

well because of this countries general and overall paranoia that pres. obama has nothing better to do then worry about guns,,, which he has plainly stated is NOT his biggest fish to fry.

i am a fairly liberal kind of guy, BUT i am also a gun owner and always have been.

for a first timer i would point you to something simple and effective,,, 9MM glock.

not a complicated gun. 9mm is easy and cheap ammo to buy.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

those prices sound about right to me, not sure of the safety course, I have been to many ranges and never heard of that but maybe he had an accident there once and now requires it (doesn't sound like a bad idea to me actually you never know who is holding a gun next to you) as for the shortage of ammo, kind of surprises me as most ranges I have been to require you to purchase the crappy reloads they make on site. but who knows. And yes the current government administration is trying to ban guns but it won't happen cause they can't TAKE peoples guns away, they cant afford to buy every ones guns, and even if they asked people to give up there guns only a small percentage of gun owners would give them up. I sure as hell won't!!! but with the current governments hopes, if your thinking about buying a gun you may want to soon or it may be pretty difficult to do in the near future they can ban sales (or heavily restrict them) even though it is one of the rights are country was founded on!!! (sorry for the political argument but it is crazy that this is even an possibility)

and I agree with sloppy 100% a 9 is a great gun from all angles (will be a better choice for a wife too)

Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 AM
TReK

1996 questionnaire when obama was running for Illinois state Senate.
35. Do you support state legislation to:
a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
b. ban assault weapons? Yes.

an H&K USP40 is a far superior gun than a glock 9mm

If you plan to travel with a handgun you need to research all the states handgun laws that you will be traveling through. concealment laws in a vehicle vary from state to state.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
1996 questionnaire when obama was running for Illinois state Senate.
35. Do you support state legislation to:
a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
b. ban assault weapons? Yes.

an H&K USP40 is a far superior gun than a glock 9mm

If you plan to travel with a handgun you need to research all the states handgun laws that you will be traveling through. concealment laws in a vehicle vary from state to state.
do you guys not read the news or otherwise?

the obama administration has gone away from assault weapons banning and further gun control,,,,

you guys are like the guys in my office,,, all freaked out over nothing.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:22 AM
TReK

yeah I read the news. obama stopped pushing gun ownership restrictions the day 65 democratic congressmen announced they would oppose any such restrictions. He knows he does not have the votes for NOW that is why he stopped.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Wow, hot topic... I got more responses on his than when I needed to get an answer to a mechanical issue

THANKS GUYS! I learned a lot. Tomorrow I will inquire about the safety class. And yes, I think they may have had an accident or they are just paranoid. They don't rent guns to people who come in alone either. You must bring a friend to be able to rent a gun. I guess they're afraid of people hurting themselves which would make a mess...

Last question: has anybody travelled internationally in the car and brought a weapon along? I will inquire with some embassies to see if that is possible...

Quick Reply: Sorry, off topic thread: guns