Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, off topic thread: guns

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:39 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no idea about canada but mexico is VERY strict..bring one bullet into the country and you're going to be south of the board for a long long time..locked up.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

An absurd fear that Obama was gonna take his guns away is why that wacko in Pennsylvania shot all those cops a few weeks back. Next up will be some wacko raping a bunch of women because he's afraid the Pope is gonna take his condoms away (The Pope has stated he wants to do just that). Bottom line is we live in a world with a bunch of paranoid retards. Go to the gun range and have some fun with the wifey. Ammo prices will stabilise eventually, once the retards realise that the ammo producers were just using them to trump up demand for the sake of profits...

Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
I have no idea about canada but mexico is VERY strict..bring one bullet into the country and you're going to be south of the board for a long long time..locked up.
I like Mexico, but prefer the freedom to roam around in the Rover

Also, I wonder if there are other self defence items that are allowed across international borders without having to fear for being locked up.

Well, we'll start locally and hope that we can buy some bullets soon.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Christ, I haven't been to the range for months. I only have 150 or so .40cal rounds sitting around. I been spending all my extra money on the Rover, lol!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Canada does not allow you to bring in handguns, period. And they are very particular about what kind of long guns you can bring in. Nothing that they consider an assault rifle is allowed which means pretty much no semi-auto rifles. All firearms ned to be unloaded. You have to stop at the US customs before you leave the country and declare your weapons and then stop and declare the weapons at Canadian customs also. There are forms you need to fill out for Canadian customs that are available on the internet. Canada also charges you $50 for processing the firearms declaration. As you may have guessed I have traveled through Canada a few times with firearms.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I recently read a great article on the ammo shortage. It's not neccessarily that people are stockpiling, it's also the increase of handgun sales. The ammo companies know exactly how much ammo they will sell in a normal year, and keep production around that level. With the increase in handgun sales, more people are buying ammo, not to stockpile, but to shoot. The ammo companies have been running at full tilt to keep up. I think there will be a surplus of ammo by the end of summer and we should be able to buy our Winchester white box at Wally world again. I try and keep about 1500 rounds available for my 9mm.

Check out budsgunshop.com for some available 9mm. I have a Sig Pro SP2022 and love it, and they have one on there for a great price. Glock's are good too.

And I don't think the worry is that Obama will take away our guns, I think it's the cost of ammo and restrictions we're worried about. They are talking serial numbers on all bullets!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Three Wheeling

I have a number of guns as well and a great all around gun is the Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum. You can plink with .38 special rounds (relatively cheap), you can get light .357 rounds which are easy on the hands and your wife can shoot with no problems, and you can get heavy loads for side arm defense (not in Kodiak/Grizzly country then only .44 Mag +) and you can get good home defense loads. If you AND your wife are not very familiar with a semi automatic such as a 9 mm, .40, etc. then it can be a liability if you need to use it QUICKLY!
A double action revolver is very effective, easier to operate in a high stress situation for an inexperienced handler, and (in my humble opinion) generally safer to carry. An automatic (semi auto) does have the advantage of carrying more rounds, but if you need more than 6 you're in deep S**T anyways.
With an auto you need to chamber a round, make sure the safety is off, aim and squeeze. In the event of a misfire you need to manually eject the round (pull the slide back) and there is a possibility of a jam which would require time to dislodge and then rechamber another round, aim and shoot. Now with that said a Glock 9 and some of the others mentioned are superlative firearms with an excellent reputation and are fantastic to shoot. Many law enforcement agencies use these as service firearms, so durability is without question. Just be sure to use high quality full metal jacket ammo, then misfires are extremely rare.
With a double action revolver just aim and squeeze. In the event of a misfire squeeze the trigger again and the next round is fired. I have had a GP 100 for a number of years and your can bang fenceposts in with it all day long and still shoot reliably and accurately. (I carry it as my side arm doing ranch work, so it bounces around in a pickup all day long and I have NEVER had a problem with it.)
A gun safety course is an excellent idea and remember, NEVER point a gun at anyone unless you intend to shoot them and it's always the unloaded gun that kills accidentally.
"But it wasn't loaded....."
Have fun!
For example

Last edited by stu44mag; 05-05-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Overlanding

It's unbelievable the shortage of ammunition now. It mainly has to deal with the thought that it will soon become taxed out-of-our-minds, but there will always be guns and ammo. It might come to the point of certain guns being banned, but this is America and there are ways to fight it.

I went to the Dallas Gun Show, the biggest in Texas, right after President Obama was elected and found out almost all gun prices had nearly doubled. I was in the market for a .223 AR-15 and found that a year ago, it would cost near $900 and now they are all above $1400. The ammunition for it, too, had gone up in price incredibly.

A 9mm may seem like a cheap handgun to own, with ammo being cheap, but the stopping power and capacity of a .45 cannot be beat. 9mm are the coice of concealed carriers as well as small revolvers.

If looking for a good pistol for any sport, whether it be self-defence or just target, my mantra has alwaysbeen to get a revolver. A semi is great, but you still have to pick up the bullets and get rid of the evidence...

Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
all freaked out over nothing.

MMMM.... Hussein also stated on so many occasions that he would not raise taxes on people that make under 250K a year. However the feds just raised the tax on smokes by $1.00 a pack.

Strange...I happen to know people that make less than 250K a year and smoke!

Also - Shootin Irons....manipulation of ammo costs is...gun control!

H&K makes some fine irons their ergonomics in the grips are better than most - its a good first gun for girls in small caliber and frame (the gun not the girl...get outa the gutter) Glocks are very safe and dependable and you dont have to dank around with cocking this and decocking that...a small frame wheel (revolver) is a good choice also...it will mainly boil down to preference - get what comfortable in your hand with the ability to target a second round with moderate ease.

Just my opinion...a 40 is only 1.16 mm larger in bore than a 9mm (9mm is a common round) if you want to make a step up from a 9mm get a 45. You must change someones latitude before their attitude changes.

As with most cities the crime rate is going up expedientially to the downfall of the economy and home break ins (with residents at home) are climbing at a scary rate....why you ask....do you not read or hear about it more often? Its bad for business to report shoppers at the mall were mugged or someone was followed home from the pharmacy then robbed of their medications....

Last edited by Night Train; 05-05-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Mudding

i just reload my own ammo everything from .45acp to .338 lapua if you want to go shooting with me feel free to contact my im down here in yucca valley Joshua tree area. not to far from riverside

Quick Reply: Sorry, off topic thread: guns