Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sort of URGENT Engine Info needed CONNECTING ROD HOUSING BORE SIZE

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:53 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
So the correct rod bore is 2.315. I asked Steve if there is a range and he said 2.315 so that's what I told the shop and they aren't happy about it.
If they are too large they may be able to mill the caps a bit and bore them out to the correct size.

edit to spell "too" correctly.

Last edited by antichrist; 08-25-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
If they are two large they may be able to mill the caps a bit and bore them out to the correct size.
Right that's what they plan to do... that's why they didn't like the lack of a "range". Oh well, I'm paying for it.

I really do not understand the ranges I have. Big end bore appears to be the same thing as connecting rod housing bore size and I am positive that I asked Cannibal for that very figure (connecting rod housing bore size) because I was reading what my shop asked me to find... I wrote it down. And I would have thought the Cannibal figure was right... he was sure (2.189 to 2.191). But when I learned that ALL of mine measured 2.3xx my shop said the Cannibal figures must be wrong so I called back after reading AC's post and Cannibal confirmed 2.315. So WTF™. And I assume Cannibal gave me the journal size instead of the conrod housing and that the difference is for lubrication but Cannibal was very specific about the range and how ridiculous its lack of publication is, and the journal tolerances are well published.

Since my caps will be milled to make them all perfectly 2.315 I wish I could get a straight answer because they could just be milled and bored to the smaller size with no extra trouble. What a cluster.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-25-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Camel Trophy

You might call or email Turner Engineering. I'm sure if anyone would have the specs they would.
I'll also mention that I'm fairly certain that the rod bolts are TTY single use (from an engine rebuilding perspective) bolts. Ask Turner about also, for verification.
The answer I got from two shops on the rod bolts is to stick a screwdriver in the hole, mark depth, and compare to bolts.

Seems a little unscientific but that's what they do.

I haven't reached turner successfully because I can't seem to master the time change.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Camel Trophy

The new layout on the mobile view for this forums is great but confuses my mind. Hopefully I am replying to my own thread here.

Despite all of the research, help, and encouragement, I have not found a definitive answer to the correct bore for the conrods. That strikes me as ridiculous, so in keeping with the theme I have just told the shop to bore to 2.315. I reached this "decision" based on links thoughtfully provided by Tom, some loose math, and the fact that ALL of my bores are already in spitting distance of 2.3xx.

The engine shop thinks it is ridiculous that there is no range. We both think it is ridiculous that there is no published answer, and I'm feeling ridiculous putting it all out for the world to see but maybe someone will find this information useful.

If it sounds like CRAP when I start it up I will just get new rods.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Baja

The answer I got from two shops on the rod bolts is to stick a screwdriver in the hole, mark depth, and compare to bolts.
What's that supposed to tell you?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Camel Trophy

What's that supposed to tell you?
I don't know; one mentioned that the bolts should be a little shorter. I assume they mean that if the bolts reach the bottom of the hole they are stretched. It really doesn't make sense at all. Both shops said they never replace those bolts unless they are stripped. I am beginning to think that the engine shops in my area code need to have their water checked for lead.

Your link to Turner's bolts is my hook to ask the conrod housing bore size, though I'm pretty sure mine were planed and bored today. Probably too late.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 AM
Baja

I don't know; one mentioned that the bolts should be a little shorter. I assume they mean that if the bolts reach the bottom of the hole they are stretched.
I seriously doubt the hole depth tolerance is so close you could tell.
A lot of people don't really understand TTY bolts.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:15 AM
Camel Trophy

I agree. I don't, but I am going to figure it out today. That's the second time you've saved my bacon on this project. Thank you!!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Camel Trophy

Ordered those a moment ago.

I also confirmed those are not re-usable

Old 08-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Richard Turner himself emailed me while on vacation in the United States. His response was:

We work to
2.313 + .0005”
You should take this as a north South dimension which is the more consistent dimension.

Providing you are no worse than + or - .001 at the split line then the rods do not really require attention. Keep in mind the caps are not very tight fit on the bolts and will find their own centre when assembled.

The bearings are thinner at the spit line area to allow for not perfectly round big end

So, since Turner is basically the gold standard, that is my number. And it is VERY close to what I had before and VERY close to my undone conrod bores.

I called the shop and they had the rods on the bench so that information was very timely.

Quick Reply: Sort of URGENT Engine Info needed CONNECTING ROD HOUSING BORE SIZE