Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound of trickling water

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound of trickling water

Hi all,

Got kind of a weird issue: there is a trickling water sound inside my 2001 Disco II. It is pretty faint but clear. It is most pronounced when accelerating and going around corners. The carpets aren't wet. We have been having a pretty wet, cool summer up here.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Mudding

Sounds to me like you have air in your coolant system you have to get all the air out. Follow this thread for instructions. https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23072

Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by larson3000
Hi all,

Got kind of a weird issue: there is a trickling water sound inside my 2001 Disco II. It is pretty faint but clear. It is most pronounced when accelerating and going around corners. The carpets aren't wet. We have been having a pretty wet, cool summer up here.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks!
Pretty typical symptom of air trapped in your cooling system. There are threads about "bleeding" your coolant system, do a search and get that puppy bled!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn! Too slow! You win Tim!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Mudding

folks have helped me I am just trying to pay it forward.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

correct to everyone above. you need to bleed the air out of your coolant system. that waterfall is air pushing coolant around the heater core.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 PM
4th Gear
Default Air in Coolant System

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
correct to everyone above. you need to bleed the air out of your coolant system. that waterfall is air pushing coolant around the heater core.
Hey guys & gals,
I have had the same problem with air in the coolant system and it eventually burst a hose, the one with the 4 way coming off of the t stat. I am trying to figure out how air got in the system in the first place. This is the second hose that it burst. Bleeding it does some good for a awhile then it seems like pressure is building back up in the hose. I am suspecting a hg leak. Let me know your thoughts on this.

stormtrooper LV

DSII 197,000 miles
replaced front prop shaft
new coolant recovery tank
modified TB heater hose and radiator hose
New Alternator
replaced TB heater plate kit (2 x)
Replace Serpentine belt
all of the scheduled maintenance including the transfer gear box oil fill up

Old 08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

branman, Has the engine been overheating? After I fixed a bad water pump mine wasn't until it pressurized the cooling system and blew that same hose off.

You may want to look into getting a kit to do an exhaust gas test on your cooling system. If you've blown that hose off something isn't right...just having air in the cooling system probably shouldn't build pressure like that unless something else is going on.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
branman, Has the engine been overheating? After I fixed a bad water pump mine wasn't until it pressurized the cooling system and blew that same hose off.

You may want to look into getting a kit to do an exhaust gas test on your cooling system. If you've blown that hose off something isn't right...just having air in the cooling system probably shouldn't build pressure like that unless something else is going on.
No it isn't overheating , hose just burst. I did get a pressure test and it held the pressure of 15psi for a good 20 min then I disconnected it. I have not changed the water pump on it. This whole issue started with gurgling under the dash. I bled it and now I am just driving it and waiting to see what happens if it will burst again. Coolant level stays the same in the tank and it doesn't overheat.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Glad I stumbled into this thread earlier today! I thought the waterfall was just a land rover thing. . . A/C refrigerant or something liquified in this cold weather (bought my D2 last week). I also thought my coolant was full.

Nearly a full gallon of peak later, I realize I was making the old assume saying a reality. Thanks guys, you probably saved me from a very costly lesson!

Quick Reply: sound of trickling water