Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounds of water AND air!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds of water AND air!

Hello all!

I've run into some issues! The first issue is when the Landy is running I hear something that sounds like running water on the passenger side of the car. I lifted the hood but there doesnt seem to beany leaking or anything like that. At first I only noticed it when I accelerated but it seems to be making that noise during movement and turns as well. As for the performance of the car, it seems to be running fine. I'm just wondering if this is going to become a bigger issue later and a way to fix it so the water swishing sound goes away.

The other issue is from time to time, when I turn my car off, the fat at the front of the car right next to the bumper starts up. It seems to have something to do with the air conditioning/heater. I've managed to find a way to turn it off but, once again I'm not sure if I've just been lucky or if its really the reason its been turning off. What I do is I change the fan level to the lowest setting and then I turn off the air conditioner. This may have something to do with the issue I had with the heater. Even after the heater is turned off, I still get hot air venting through the openings and the only way I can turn that off is if I turn the air conditioner on and then turn it back off. Again, this hasn't stunned the performance of my landy. All in all, aside from these issues, it seems as if the car is running fine!

Any ideas on what might be wrong and what I can do to fix it?!?!?

My car details: 2003 Landy Discovery II with 87000 miles on it!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Sounds of water AND air!

Sure, you have a coolant leak, so fill and bleed your coolant system, then get it pressure tested for a coolant leak.
The fan coming on is cause your engine is running too hot because of your coolant leak.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The water sound that you hear is air in the heater core.
And like Mike said, the electric fan is coming on to cool the engine because you are low on coolant.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Just out of curiousity, when was the last time you had the cooling system flushed?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Overlanding

Mike / Spike: Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm going to have to try that.

Spike: I just purchased the vehicle used in March. I can't say for certain when it was done. How often should it be flushed?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Team Owner

It is supposed to be flushed every 45,000 miles or 3 years, whichever is sooner.
Let us know what you find but I am going to say that it is a blown head gasket and that your coolant has never been changed before.
DexCool is corrosive if not properly manitained.
I hope that I am wrong, but have it checked out ASAP. If you overheat the engine you will be buying a new one.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the water noise, my '99 disco II does the same thing. I don't have a coolant leak, but the coolant is about 1.5" below the level mark on the resivoir. Mine's done it for almost a year now, and never runs hot, even off road or towing.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Overlanding

Update:

I went and bleed the system out with some Dex. Then I started the engine. A short time after that the coolant started to flow out of what appeared to be the screw. I'm not sure if its coming out of the sides or out of the top of the screw. Im guessing its probably both. I turned the engine off shortly after and it stopped leaking as much as it did and then the top of the screw started to bubble and then started to smoke(on top of the plastic screw). It appeared to be sizzling.I would also like to mention that the fan turned on between the time I turned the engine on and off. The amount of coolant currently in the tank now is right on the line. Note: when I put the coolant in to bleed the system it went over the line.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Team Owner

It wasnt smole it was steam, it was sizzling because the coolant on the outside was hot.
You need to properly bleed your cooling system.
https://landroverforums.com/m_78233/tm.htm
I tell how to bleed the cooling system in this thread.`

Old 09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Overlanding

Spike: Thanks! Some good information! Considering I already did a (poor) bleeding do I still need to do it again? It's no bother and I'll probably end up doing it again since Ionly did it once but, if the coolant level remains the same should I still do what you suggested?

Mike: Thanks to you too! Your advice got me on the right track! I have much to learn but, I'm slowly getting there!

Quick Reply: Sounds of water AND air!