Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounds of water AND air!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Sounds of water AND air!

I would bleed it correctly and then as long as the coolant level stays good I wouldnt worry about it.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Righto! I'll have to try it in the morning. I'll keep everyone posted on the updates!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Overlanding

Update:

I went out there a little while ago and attempted to do what you said Spike. As I was turning the screw to cover the bleed hole, the body of the screw broke from the head of the screw. At this point Im thinking the flowing of the coolant may have came off because of a weak screw. Right now the body is stuck in the hole. I think with a good set of pliers and some time I'll be able to get it out. Regardless I'm going to have to find a replacement because the fliuid is seaping out around the body. Probably is best to wait until I get that piece before I attempt another go.

Do you think auto zone might have a piece or do I have to order it from British Pacific?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

AutoZone might have one. I think that bleed screws are all the same size no matter the make.
If you cannot get one there try a radiator shop or the dealer.
Sorry about your luck, arent Rover great?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: JC316

Update:

I went out there a little while ago and attempted to do what you said Spike. As I was turning the screw to cover the bleed hole, the body of the screw broke from the head of the screw. At this point Im thinking the flowing of the coolant may have came off because of a weak screw. Right now the body is stuck in the hole. I think with a good set of pliers and some time I'll be able to get it out. Regardless I'm going to have to find a replacement because the fliuid is seaping out around the body. Probably is best to wait until I get that piece before I attempt another go.

Do you think auto zone might have a piece or do I have to order it from British Pacific?
Do you have a digital camera, if so take a picture of the "T" and screw and send it to me.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Overlanding

After alot of heart ache and LOTS of coolant, I managed to get the leakage down to a drizzle. It's come a long way! I've ordered the bleed screw and am currently waiting for it! Hopefully it will end my nightmare. All the other screws that I used either leaked bad or just didnt work. Currently I'm using a temporary plastic head purchased from Auto Zone and wrapped it's seams with Teflon tape. I bought that at the Home Depot. It seems to be pretty stable. It does leak a bit but hopefully it'll hold out until my piece arrives.

I changed my oil out yesterday! First time! Was fun and easy. I used the Syn Castrol fluid. And used a Mobil Air Filter.

After hours of searching the internet, local dealerships, and auto stores, I have had no luck in finding any synthetic power steering fluid. It appears that they have been wiped of the face of this planet! So later today I am going to go and purchase some regular Vavoline power steering fluid, add a bit of lucas and finish my re-up on PS fluid.

Hopefully I'll get to the brakes this weekend!

Mike: Thanks for your help and advice!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Overlanding

Okay! Sorry for the late update!

Coolant:

Let me start with what I've already done. I've replaced the coolant and used a temp bleed screw to cover the hole. Because I was still having issues with leakage, I used Teflon tape to help keep the fluids in. I contacted British Pac and they sent me a piece but the base of the screw was only half the size of the one my rover required. Which probably means that the T tube was replaced because the person at British Pac said that all the Rover bleed screw were supposed to be the same.(I just need some confirmation on that). Pending what you guys say, I'm probably going to just go to Home Depot and find a screw that is compatible and use that permanently. The water running sounds have gone away and the engine seems to be running fine. There are however 2 things that I'm curious about (1) The fan still comes a few minutes after I start the landy. What I'm wondering is does it always do this or am I just being to senstive about it because I've had a cooling issue and (2) Only when I turn my heater on, I hear a humming/buzzing/ringing sound on the front passenger side of the car and it gets progressively louder the higher the fan blows. It's almost impossible to hear when the heater is on and the fan is at its lowest setting. I know it didn't do this before and I'm wondering what's causing it. I'm not exactly sure how to describe the sound which is why I described it with "humming/buzzing/ringing." It is quite unpleasant after a while though!

Power Steering:

I changed the power steering fluid and everything seems to be alright EXCEPT that when I first start the car in the morning and pull out of my drive way it makes a cranking noise just once and then it's fine after that. Is this okay? The fluid I'm using isn't synthetic because I couldn't find any but I was told that the fluid that I'm using should be fine! You guys run into this problem often? It is getting cold here. It was 36 today!

Oil:

I changed out the Oil and Oil filter with full synthetic oil. Good news is everything seems to be running fine!

Brake Fluid:

I've yet to get started on this! I hope to get to it this weekend!