Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug removal question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug removal question

Hey guys,

I searched and found a lot of spark plug questions, but nothing specific about what I was wondering, so...

I have original champion plugs. They look pretty corroded on the outside, so I figure I am going to have a battle on my hands getting them out.

Can I put PB blaster on them and let it soak in if I am planning on driving it? I don't mind if it creates a funky smell...just want to make sure PB around that kind of heat won't ignite or anything.

Oh, and looking at the rear plug on the driver's side, there is a hard line of some sort in the vicinity - is it kosher to use a wobble extension? I don't want to strip anything or round off a plug.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

PB is always welcome for breaking loose things that might have been in there for many, many miles.

When removing spark plugs, do it when the engine is cold. Overnight cold.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Mudding

I would spray the plugs with p/b the night before. I was planing to remove them then start car let run for a couple of min. The alum. Of the head will expand faster then the steel plug and will be easier to remove. Good luck blamo

Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Excellent - thanks, guys - I just gave 'em all a nice big swig of the PB and will let it sit - hopefully I can get to them tomorrow - I just gotta run out and get a wobble extension to get that back one.

And yup - I discovered original wires, too. Definitely gotta do those, too. I might just wait a week and do them all at the same time.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I always spray the spark plug hole with PB Blaster before installing the new ones too to make sure the threads are nice and clean.
You can also use carb cleaner.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Or, better yet don't use anything on the spark plug holes except for spark plug style anti seize which is designed to not allow the plug threads to stick to the head threads after 60,000 miles of use. If the plug sticks, it can and will pull head threads, damaging the heads.
Also, if you use a little die electric on the spark plug tip, it will prevent misfires over the years from corrision building up and make it had to remove the plug wire.
As for your old plug wires, wait and replace the wires and plugs at the same time. In the mean time order on line a set of 8 mm silicone plug wires like STI or Magnecor's, do not use store bought wires, they won't hold up well. A good place to go for wires would be British Parts of Utah.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Three Wheeling

I just put spark plugs and wires on my vehicle. Used Denso plugs and wires with factory ends. Just smog the vehicle before plugs and wires. 2500 rpm hydro carbons 120 ppm (high) Idle test was 10. Under load had a slight problem. Recheck after new plugs and wires 5ppm Vehicle runs better. ***Make sure if you remove your coil pack to built your wires, dont do built it backwards. Almost did that. Also when you remove your upper intake manifold think about replacing your valve cover gaskets, it is easy then.

Last edited by clanch; 10-07-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM
4wd Low

I just had the same issue ...ours had 77k miles with the original champion plugs that were pretty rusty.I sprayed them the night before with WD40 cause thats all I had.The next morning I WENT for it and it was all ok....they loosened
up just fine...I was amazed. so I nstalled the new ones and put some never seize on the threads so next time I won't have to worry about it.I also cleand the threads with a popsicle stick and an old sock....I hate aluminum threads...But it worked fine for me this time.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Damn plugs are driving me to drink. I tried working on the driver's side rear again, it started to come, then I hit resistance.

I hit it with some more PB blaster, got another quarter turn, then I got nervous so I tightened it back up and put the wire back on. Just afraid of messing up the threads.

How hard can I crank on these things without messing something up? My pride would take a hit having to go to a shop for some daggone spark plugs, but I am considering it...

Last edited by bootzilla; 10-08-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Three Wheeling

Try to remove them when the engine is warm. Carbon built up on the threds will be softer.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug removal question