Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plug wires help! Denver

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug wires help! Denver

I'm changing my spark plug wires at a buddies house using the method that doesn't require removing the IM. We got all of the wires off the coil pack but on #7 the metal part that is inside the rubber boot stayed in the coil pack when the boot came off. I tried tweezers and pliers but I'm having trouble getting if off, because it's so tight. We've already spent 6 hours on it and I can't afford to spend anymore time. Anyone have any ideas? If I installed all 7 plugs could I drive it to the dealership? That would really suck because I know they would charge me the whole $350 of labor for the one plug. I don't know what to do and am freaking out. If anyone in the Denver area would be willing to help me out I would be willing to pay $$. I'm desperate! thanks

Last edited by 04discomw; 04-25-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:25 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah it'll run on 7 cylinders, it will throw some trouble codes though

they make really long needle nose pliers that should get in there

Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the fast reply Nitetrain, I didn't think anyone would reply so quickly because it's so late. I tried needle nose pliers, but there's only a small peice sticking out of the coil pack it's hard to get a good grip, because the pliers only go down vertically. Does anyone know how hard it would be to take off the coil pack?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming you have a DII by your screen name. If so you have to remove the intake to get the the coil packs out. I know its crazy tight back there but try to get a flat head screw driver in there and pry that piece off the coil pack.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 04discomw
I'm changing my spark plug wires at a buddies house using the method that doesn't require removing the IM. We got all of the wires off the coil pack but on #7 the metal part that is inside the rubber boot stayed in the coil pack when the boot came off. I tried tweezers and pliers but I'm having trouble getting if off, because it's so tight. We've already spent 6 hours on it and I can't afford to spend anymore time. Anyone have any ideas? If I installed all 7 plugs could I drive it to the dealership? That would really suck because I know they would charge me the whole $350 of labor for the one plug. I don't know what to do and am freaking out. If anyone in the Denver area would be willing to help me out I would be willing to pay $$. I'm desperate! thanks
Send me you tele number and I'll call you this morning.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike will help you through it, but as I just completed this yesterday; here's an idea.

Get a pair of the small/long vice grips and clamp them on the offending wire. Use the end of a hammer/screw driver/piece of wood, etc. as a fulcrum and pry it off.

There's no way in hell I'd take it a dealer. No freakin' way in hell I'd take it a dealer now when I'm 7/8's done! My guess is a little rest last night and some "fresh eyes" on the problem will get it done this morning!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Aurora if you need further assistance ,I have some tools PM me for the number

Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take off the manifold, it only takes 10 minutes.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Mudding

Try shoving a pencil into the broken piece in the coil. tilt the pencil sideways a little, so it will bite into the piece that was left behind. Wiggle it around and you might be able to get it out.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Overlanding

Thanks all for the suggestions.

So Mrmerlin came to the rescue and helped me. We had to remove the intake manifold to remove the coil pack to remove the metal peice stuck in the coil pack. There would be no way in hell I could have done all that without his help, due to my inexperience with working on cars. Thanks again Stan, if I could help you in any way in the future let me know, because I owe you!

Quick Reply: spark plug wires help! Denver