Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speciality tools

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default speciality tools

one of the things I hate about BMW's is the need for speciality tools. However on a car it's not that big a deal since you can get a car home and complete the repair in your garage. I plan on using my rover off-road and not having a speciality tool could make the difference between driving out of the trail or walking out. Besides a driveshaft tool are there any others that would be good to take with you on the trail?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: speciality tools

A machet, foxhole shovel, recovery strap, roll of duct tape, 2 screw drivers and a set of metric wrenches.
As far as I know a LR does not require special tools. They are designed to be worked on in the field.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can remove the driveshafts with some wrenches, no specialty tool required. Bailing wire is good too.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
TReK

spike I have all the recovery gear..9000lbs winch..hi-lift jack, strap with tree saver..chain..I carry a ton of stuff with me on the trail. I meant more LR specific tools. I got my driveshaft off with a socket and wrench but it was a PITA and I rounded off the nuts, i'm going to get that driveshaft tool.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As far as I know there is no specialty tools for LR's. I could be wrog though, its almost heppened before. lol

Old 08-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Three Wheeling

You know I could see someone getting screwed with a flat tire! My 03 disco has some huge lug nuts on the tire's! Most cars and trucks dont have that size on hand!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 PM
TReK

Here's the tool I'm talking about.
http://shop.difflock.com/difflock-pr...tool-p-29.html

Old 08-26-2008, 02:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You really dont need that tool, a standard wrench or ratchet and deep socket work just as well, although I highly recommend using a good quality 6 point socket, 12 point sockets can easily slip and round the nuts off. I use snap-on six point sockets. Save your money and buy something else you do need

Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I know you need a special wrench to take off the viscous fan coupling. not sure if it's a Land Rover specific part, but I know I've never seen one used anywhere else

Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the only thing that I'd say is really odd-ball that I have encountered is the transmission fill plug. It's not something that I think most people would have in their standard tool box. I lucked out because I had that bizzare star or allen-head (don't remember which) from a set I bought for another car years ago.

I was able to get my front driveshaft...or PROP shaft off without any special tools. Didn't seem especially difficult to me by any means and I'm not ridiculously good at this stuff.

The only other thing that is a real nice to have is a 1/2" universal swivel deal for the fill plug on the x-case. I didn't have one until this past weekend and I managed to get by...I'm not sure how but I got that plug in and out twice previously and this weekend I caved in and bought one.

Other than that...I haven't had a need for any type of speciality tools on this rig so far.

Quick Reply: speciality tools