Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speed transducer

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: speed transducer

While driving usually at about 35-45mph the car stars to stall or cut out. It doesn't do this everytime but it cuts out when I step on the gas and then once I get over that mph zone it clears up. A friend told me his dad's 97 or 98 LR did this and they replaced the speed transducer and it clear the problem up. I found out yesterday that my 2001 doesn't have a speed transducer. Beyond that I don't know why it doesn't or what part acts as the speed transducer on my vehicle. I took it to a mechanic and he told me it was the fuel injectors sticking because of the carbon build up and something about the holes being too small for the fuel injectors and that was causing the sticking. I'm not sure how accurate his prognosis may be though.

My question is if my vehicle doesn't have a speed transducer, then what subs as the part and how do I fix it?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Here's the link to the free Rave CD from Rover Renovation:

http://www.rover-renovations.com/Sea...Search=rave+cd

Old 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Sparky,
Do you have a check engine light, what octane gas are you running, how many miles on your truck and when was the last tune related work done on it?
Mike

Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Drifting

The TC, ABS, and hill descent light are on. Premium octane with lately fuel injection cleaner added. 123,000 miles. The friend I was talking about just changed the belt and put new plugs on it yesterday. Oil was changed about a week ago by the mechanic mentioned earlier. The service engine light came on but I think it was due to the old belt. Once the new belt and plugs were installed the light went off.

99XJ thanks for the link.

Sparky
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

First, go to an auto parts store and get your codes read, the light will not come on because of your bad serpentine belt.
What brand of spark plugs are you using and have the plug wires ever been changed? At your mileage, have the 02 sensors ever been changed?
Get back to us with the fault code numbers you get when scanned.
Mike

Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Drifting

The plugs are bosch platinum +4. The wires looked to be in good shap according to the friend who changed the plugs. I'm not aware of the o2 sensors being changed. I've only had the car 4 months. I'll get back with the codes.

Sparky
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Sparky,

I ordered the Rave CD from Rover Renovations downloaded it and then lost the CD. But they were nice enough to send me another. They're good people. And this is a "no frills" forum. To make responses faster, whenever I ask a question I start out saying my vehs stats. '03 Disco II, 42K miles, etc.

We have about a dozen "workhorses" that are you go too, but most of us have experienced what other people are going thru as well so most posts get a good deal of chatter.

Welcome to the forum, and we'll get your truck fixed. Owning my first rover (current) it's definitely a exercise in patience!

-Ugly

Old 06-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: sparky

The plugs are bosch platinum +4. The wires looked to be in good shap according to the friend who changed the plugs. I'm not aware of the o2 sensors being changed. I've only had the car 4 months. I'll get back with the codes.

Sparky
[align=left] [/align]
When you get a chance, have your friend tell you what brand of plug wire you are running, some of them can be pretty rough running on a Rover. The plus 4s are a great way to go.
Let us know when you get your codes scanned.
Mike

Old 06-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Was just told by a couple of auto parts stores that the codes cannot be read if the service engine light isn't on. The light is no longer on. It came on, we changed the plugs and belt then it went off. My friend said the wires looked original.

A nother mechanic made the comment that the problem might be a vacuum hose or the fuel filter. Here's where it gets fun. I was told by Atlantic British that the 2001 Disco II doesn't have a fuel filter. My head is beginning to spin.

Question is what do I do?

Sparky
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Drifting

There were 3 codes read on the 2001 Disco II.

1. P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire
2. P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire
3. Speed Control - Control Vehicle Speed

The mechanic seemed to think the wires and maybe the Coil pack might be the problem.

Sparky
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: speed transducer