Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed wobble and CDL

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed wobble and CDL

I replaced the tie rod ends on my truck and I rebuilt the swivels but I'm still stuck with the stupid speed wobble. The pre-load is well ajusted, I set it a tiny bit heavier than the 16 pounds recommended. While driving I can feel that the truck is tighter but the wobble is still there, I only need to go faster to feel it. And I don't want to set the pre-load heavier, it will probably crush the bearings. Plus since I performed the work, there is a rubbing noise coming from the brakes when I hit bumps and when I turn left. I double checked my work and everything is fine. I'm wondering what can cause the rubbing.

Second thing: I have a problem with my CDL. There seems to have some play in my linkage and because of that play, it doesn't fully engage. As soon as I put some resistance on the drivetrain (such as an obstacle on the trail) the CDL light in the dash starts to flash rapidly and I hear a kind of clicking/grinding coming from the t-case. I stopped using the CDL since. I can yank the lever as hard as I can and I coudn't get it to go far enough to fully engage. When I removed my center console here is what I found:

The linkage worked along the red arrow due to the play, instead of the supposed green arrow. I noticed that the play was in the middle (blue circle), so I shimmed it, put it back together, hit the trail to check if my repair worked. It worked for the 2 or 3 first times then stopped working properly. So I guess the problem is still the same. Is it possible that I ruined the CDL unit of my t-case? Or should I try to swap the linkage for the '04 type? This is not an actual picture of my linkage, this one I found on the internet.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would buy a new DI linkage, I dont know where you can get one in Canada but here in the US www.roverlandparts.com has them for alot cheaper than the '04 cable linkage.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

What's the mileage? You may very well need new suspension bushings. Also, double check your hub bearing end float. It should be no more than about 0,010 mm.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Winching

the truck has 147 000Km on it which is in the 80 000's miles. I have absolutely no clue on how to check the end float on the hub bearings. How do I proceed?

Thanks for the tip Spike, I checked Roverland and their prices seem to be high, I'll check what I can find in Canada. I was afraid I might have ruined it...

Last edited by Jull; 06-15-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Winching

I didn't check the bearing since I had no time to do it this week-end. And I don't know how to check the end float on bearings.... can a worn out hub bearings cause the speed wobble?

What else should I look for besides bushings? Steering box drop arm? Steering column u-joints?

Thanks all!