Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put your D2 into low range, turn on sport mode and enjoy using 1,2,3, D (4th) manual shifting. Great for off road.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Drifting

MODE SWITCH In High range press the mode switch to select ’Sport’ mode (the ’S’ information light on the instrument panel will illuminate). In Low range press the mode switch to select ’Manual’ mode (the ’M’ manual information light will illuminate). Press the switch a second time to return the gearbox to normal operation. ’Sport’ mode With ’Sport’ mode selected, the gearbox is more responsive to accelerator pedal movement - downshifts occur earlier and upshifts are delayed to make optimum use of the engine’s power while accelerating. Select ’Sport’ when increased acceleration is required, or when negotiating long inclines or twisting roads. Note that driving in ’Sport’ mode will increase fuel consumption. ’Manual’ mode In Low range, with ’Manual’ mode selected, the automatic transmission functions as a manual gearbox requiring the driver to move the selector lever manually to change gear (’D’ = 4th gear). Manual mode will provide maximum vehicle control and engine braking -ideal for use in severe off-road conditions. Note that ’kick-down’ is disabled and that automatic downshifts will only occur to prevent the engine from stalling. NOTE: Switching off the engine or using the transfer gearbox will automatically cancel ’Sport’ or ’Manual’ mode.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums...ad.php?t=14900

This was taken from joey over at landroverworld.org

Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add this to my list of MPG experiments lol. I've been tracking my driving, mods, and gas miliage for over a year now trying different things such as driving in 3rd around town, before/after stock tires to 285, outside temperature... it's just I don't use so much gas in the first place so it takes a long time to build up data Starting my next tank I'll try sport mode for awhile see what kind of results I get.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mattmo78
How often do you use it on your D2? I've rarely used it, but my wife will use it around town. She swears she has had better gas mileage on her last 2 tanks when she has left it on all the time. She will usually get around 260 miles/tank, but the last 2 tanks of gas with sport mode on, she has been able to get close to 300 miles/tank. She drives an '04. In my '99, I'm only getting about 260-270 per tank without the sport mode. Maybe I should leave mine on and hopefully get more mileage?

So, what does it actually do for the car? I know for acceleration it keeps the transmission in a lower gear for higher RPM's and faster speed gains... Does it do anything else? Like, improve gas mileage?
Ouch, I've been getting 160-180 a tank. But I have larger tires, so that should throw the odometer off a bit. Should be realistically around 200 or so. Also all my trips are short bursts to campus and such, and it's very hilly around here.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Actually a few years ago, a number of people tried driving in Sport Mode in town over a couple of tank fulls, including myself, and we all had increases in MPG which varied between the drivers, but no one lost MPG.
The main reason it will help in town and on hard steep mountain driving is the shift points are lower and require less throttle pressure to make the ecu down shift. The less you are into your throttle, the less gas is pumped to the injectors.
THIS. I agree here. And to the OP, I've tried the Sport mode for a tank thing, and it just depends on the conditions and style of your driving. If you have a HEAVY foot, then it doesnt matter, WOT is WOT and loads of gas are just being shot out. But if you are conservative and not driving like you stole it, then you could see a slight increase. I have noticed I have to slam it down to get moving without sport mode, and with sport mode I can lightly press until it downshifts and I keep my foot there until it upshifts or I get to the my desired speed. It cant all be the car, you have to do your part as well...In my opinion.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, see... I learned something new. I wasn't aware of the mode changing when the truck is in low range. I knew I'd eventually learn something new.

My wife drives half of her commute on highway, half in city. Like I said, maybe she has slowed down some and that's caused her to get better mileage. I don't know. She has a stock set up on the '04 with semi-new Dunlop Signature tires. She does drive faster than I do, though. My commute is back roads, 10 miles one way, nothing over 50-55 mph with a few stop signs on the way. I just put Nitto TerraGrappler 255-60-18 tires on my '99 about a month ago. I haven't noticed a change in my mileage yet.

I would think it would help around town to keep the trans from jumping from gear to gear. Once on the highway, I can't see it hurting that much. Once you're up to speed, the trans is going to shift into the gears it needs no matter what mode the truck is in. Being as heavy as it is, I would think this would help. With that being said, I have, from time to time while driving her car, shifted out of sport mode while on the highway and shifted back to it once we're in town again. I don't drive hard enough to really make a difference though, so it probably wasn't doing anything for me.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Mike,
Interesting on MPG increase on sport mode.
I should try that.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, it is worth a try, sure drivers without as much gas pedal pressure.
Also, Sport Mode is for High Range if you want a little more agressive handling, manual only works when in Low range or the CDL is locked in Low Range and you want to lock the tranny in a specific gear while running a semi-hard trail.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mattmo78
How often do you use it on your D2? I've rarely used it, but my wife will use it around town. She swears she has had better gas mileage on her last 2 tanks when she has left it on all the time. She will usually get around 260 miles/tank, but the last 2 tanks of gas with sport mode on, she has been able to get close to 300 miles/tank. She drives an '04. In my '99, I'm only getting about 260-270 per tank without the sport mode. Maybe I should leave mine on and hopefully get more mileage?

So, what does it actually do for the car? I know for acceleration it keeps the transmission in a lower gear for higher RPM's and faster speed gains... Does it do anything else? Like, improve gas mileage?
Just curious about your MPG, any reason you're getting 260/270 per tank? Larger tires or lift?

I've been averaging 350 per tank with an equal mix of highway/city. Been pulling about 17mpg average, don't know what I would do if it was 100 miles less per fill up...

Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKimble
Just curious about your MPG, any reason you're getting 260/270 per tank? Larger tires or lift?

I've been averaging 350 per tank with an equal mix of highway/city. Been pulling about 17mpg average, don't know what I would do if it was 100 miles less per fill up...
Our cars have always been anywhere from 260-300 miles on a tank. Also take note, that is not the mileage where the light comes on... that's just when it gets low enough that I stop to fill up, usually around 20 gallons. No large tires or lifts, stock set-ups. I did put 1" larger tires on the '99, but that hasn't changed my mileage that I can tell (just put them on a month ago). I imagine it's the way we drive. On the highway, we run about 70-75 mph. I'd like to see 17 mpg, but the best I've been able to get has been 14.2 mpg and that was on 4 lane roads running at 70-75 mph constantly. I know there are a TON of factors that come into play when driving that effect mpg's.

Quick Reply: Sport Mode