Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking/Chirping sound on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 10:14 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chirping/Squeaking with no belt

Hey guys, I have a tough question. I've had this chirp or squeaking every time I accelerate. So I did what anyone would do, new gates brand belt, cleaned the pulley's, new idler pulley's, new tensioner. As I was pulling things apart, I took the belt off, I started it up to see if it was the belt at fault and stepped on the gas. While I was in park, with the drive shafts not moving because I wasn't moving, I noticed the darn squeaking!!! Now I am lost. What could it possibly be? No pulleys moving, no belt moving, no u joints moving. What is squeaking??? Also, if it is the crank pulley, can I reuse the crankshaft pulley bolt? I can't seem to find a new replacement anywhere. At least one that'll be here by Saturday. Am I able to just reuse the crankshaft pulley bolt? Some say to stretch bolt some say it's not. Thoughts? I drive a 2000 Land Rover Discovery series 2 V8 engine 4.0 liter Thanks, David.

Old 11-15-2023, 02:54 PM
TReK
Received 524 Likes on 454 Posts

I’ve never heard that it’s a stretch bolt. I’ve only ever reused them. The pulley is worth a try. Not that difficult other than needing to keep the crank from turning. There are several threads here on various ways to do that.

Old 11-16-2023, 10:43 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking/chirping sound on acceleration

Looks like you and I are in the same boat, I've read somewhere in these forums that it may be a head gasket in it's early stages of blowing, have not tore into mine yet, but I've noticed that if I hold the brake and accelerate the noise remains at idle it sounds great only on hard acceleration is when the noise appears goes away in park if I hold steady throttle. Lost of words any input with this issue would be helpful.. Thanks,

Old 11-16-2023, 11:04 AM
4wd Low

Someone help me understand why the squeaking / chirping might be because of a head gasket? The thing that scares me is I did a head gasket repair and then only after this chirping has started. I'm wondering if I accidentally leaked some coolant on the crank pulley. Which is why I'm curious to pull it off and clean it. But help me understand why a head gasket that is failing make a chirping noise?

Old 11-16-2023, 06:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,035 Posts

It is unusual that you would have a squeek with the belt off. Only thing I can think of is a vacuum leak. Can you make recording of it? Does it increase with RPM? Does it hot or cold? Troubleshoot using is / is not. It is doing it when I do this, it is not doing it when I do this....

Old 11-16-2023, 07:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

I am in the process of replacing my power steering pump. It was chirping. I am going to a write up but long story short, I had a hose split while driving and all the fluid leaked out. I was on the highway so didn't notice the lack of power steering till I pulled off for gas. Anyway, I had been hearing a chirping sound and thought it was a u-joint. Just saying...
dcphotos

Old 11-17-2023, 08:25 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Extinct
It is unusual that you would have a squeek with the belt off. Only thing I can think of is a vacuum leak. Can you make recording of it? Does it increase with RPM? Does it hot or cold? Troubleshoot using is / is not. It is doing it when I do this, it is not doing it when I do this....
So what I know is that when the belt is off, I start the car cold, it's instantly chirping. It also increases in speed when I step on the gas a bit. When it warms up to an idle, there is no more squeaking unless you start to drive and put load on the motor.
I've got to thinking though, I never touched the crank pulley when I did the head gaskets. At the time I thought the only thing possible was spilling coolant on the pulley. But then I was thinking there's no way that coolant can make a chirp that loud with no belt for that long. Then I realized that the only other change that I've done while I was doing the head gaskets was a replaced the oil pan rubber gasket with just RTV. While I was doing so, I torqued down the vertical bolts first on the oil pan to realize that the horizontal bolts connecting to the transmission didn't line up. So I loosened the vertical bolts a bit and then lined up the horizontal bolts and tighten those first then I proceed to tighten the vertical bolts around the oil pan to 16 ft pounds. It only occurred to me that there was about a 3/16 of an inch difference because I took the rubber gasket out. I'm starting to wonder if I may have bent something out of place causing the camshaft or something to squeak. It's far-fetched but what are your thoughts? Now I plan on taking the oil pan off tomorrow and putting the gasket back on to see if it changes anything.