Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS airbag fuse blows instantly

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS airbag fuse blows instantly

I don't know why but the srs light stays on because the SRS fuse blows instantly. Does anyone know where the srs controller or whatever the fuse feeds is located? If I try and pop open the airbag will it deploy?
By the way it's a disco 2 2003

Last edited by dollachikin; 04-10-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: make and model
Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you are not electrically minded and have never worked on a SRS system I would say quit messing with it before you melt a harness are burn out a part you can't afford.
Go find a shop and let them fix the problem.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you are not electrically minded and have never worked on a SRS system I would say quit messing with it before you melt a harness are burn out a part you can't afford.
Go find a shop and let them fix the problem.

ditto to what mike said get it checked and do not mess with it or u might pay dearly for it.it could be somthing as simple as a seat belt buckle gone bad so dont freak out yet just get it scanned and checked out and get back to us

Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Overlanding

Ive got a scanner and it doesn't bring up any codes. I am electronically minded, I just found a short in the transmission controller and replaced it now it drives fine but I just need to know physically where the srs unit is located so I don't have to tear apart my wiring harness to trace the wire back to it. I do electrical trouble shooting on controls for commercial airconditioning, so It's not new to me. I just don't know the physical location. If you know it would narrow down the search.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dollachikin
Ive got a scanner and it doesn't bring up any codes. I am electronically minded, I just found a short in the transmission controller and replaced it now it drives fine but I just need to know physically where the srs unit is located so I don't have to tear apart my wiring harness to trace the wire back to it. I do electrical trouble shooting on controls for commercial airconditioning, so It's not new to me. I just don't know the physical location. If you know it would narrow down the search.

you cant get into the srs system with the scantool that u have most likely the srs has to be checked by a very expensive scan tool.i have a 3000 dollar european scanner and its one of the only ones that can access that so like i said im not trying to be rude but you really should not touch it you have no idea what ur messin with without a code u have nowhere to start diagnosing

Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Overlanding

I found the srs ecu it is located in the center console under the storage box. I simply unplugged it and pulled it out. You can smell the "electrical burn smell when you open the box and the fuse does not blow when box is unplugged. There was recently an "electrical event" that also blew out the transmission controller. Is it true that the srs ecu is unique to the vehichle vin and can not be simply replaced or that a used one out of a none wrecked disco won't work? thoughts?