Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS light fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question SRS light fix?

So I'm trying to troubleshoot my SLS light. With my Nanocom its giving me code 004

After doing some research online I haven't been able to come up with a solution to this. My SLS comes on and seems to be functioning fine, if there was a problem with the wiring to the warning light wouldn't it not turn on? I read on another forum that there are two lights incase one fails. So I opened up the instrument cluster but its just a single LED and nothing else for the SRS light. I also read that the light automatically turns on after 10 years for the bags to be serviced but should't I be able to reset the code and have it go away if thats the case?

Old 06-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Bags are “supposed” to be replaced every 10 years, but I’ve never seen a single D1/D2 trip a light unless there is a fault.

Does your cruise control, steering wheel controls, stereo controls, and horn work? It could be a bad clock spring or bad connection with one of the pre-tensioner seat belt buckles. Those connectors can either come loose or get corroded.

The following users liked this post:
Motorhead1 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I get the SLS light every once and a while. I have pulled the steering wheel and put dielectric grease on the connections and etc. Sometimes the SLS code would be for the passenger side pre-tensioner, I checked all YELLOW connections under the seats and etc...Clear the code and it would stay away for 6 months....My last SLS episode started earlier this spring, it was drivers side airbag again. While I was plugging my Ultra Gauge back in at the OBII port, I noticed the yellow airbag wiring hanging down above where my feat hang out? I thought maybe I caught the wiring on my ski's? I grabbed and tucked the wiring back up under the dash, cleared the SLS code, hasn't been back in couple months...The wiring is really sensitive with that system. Any resistance and it will throw a code.

Last edited by Motorhead1; 06-19-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Bags are “supposed” to be replaced every 10 years, but I’ve never seen a single D1/D2 trip a light unless there is a fault.

Does your cruise control, steering wheel controls, stereo controls, and horn work? It could be a bad clock spring or bad connection with one of the pre-tensioner seat belt buckles. Those connectors can either come loose or get corroded.
Steering wheel controls all work, except for the volume down button. Other than that the rest work fine. Ive taken everything apart in the steering wheel and cleaned the connectors with no luck. If it were something like the pre-tensioner or buckles, wouldn't it give me a code for that? I have already checked all the connections under the seats and behind the glovebox and everything was connected fine.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
I get the SLS light every once and a while. I have pulled the steering wheel and put dielectric grease on the connections and etc. Sometimes the SLS code would be for the passenger clock spring thing, I checked all YELLOW connections under the seats and etc...Clear the code and it would stay away for 6 months....My last SLS episode started earlier this spring, it was drivers side airbag again. While I was plugging my Ultra Gauge back in at the OBII port, I noticed the yellow airbag wiring hanging down above where my feat hang out? I thought maybe I caught the wiring on my ski's? I grabbed and tucked the wiring back up under the dash, cleared the SLS code, hasn't been back in couple months...The wiring is really sensitive with that system. Any resistance and it will throw a code.
Maybe I over looked something when looking at the connectors, Ill have to check under the dash for any yellow wiring and inspect it more thoroughly.

If the code is for the warning light maybe I have to look more into the dash area for any wires in the system that might be messed up?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't drive with your skis on your feat. That's just dumb.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 823 Likes on 600 Posts

In the case of my truck, I found a short in the connector that attaches the SRS harness to the DCU under the console.

I was on my way toward installing an overlay harness to the driver's side airbag and was checking to see whether I'd be able to remove the wires from the connector. I had the airbag out and was testing continuity between the airbag connector and the DCU when I found the short. I ended up removing the driver's airbag wires from the DCU connector, and then cleaned the cavities of the connector with a pipe cleaner and alcohol. Put it all back together and the SRS light disappeared. Granted, it has reappeared occasionally from time to time since then, but problem is largely fixed.

Remember, anytime you are playing with SRS circuits you should disconnect the battery and let it sit for at least 10 or 15 minutes before working on it. The last thing you want to have happen is for an airbag or a seatbelt pretension or to go off when all you are trying to do as diagnose a circuit fault.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:23 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have this problem every once and a while when my boys are in the back seat and their clown feet and they hit the connectors under the front seats.
I just disconnect them and reconnect and the light goes away.
I think the connectors are for the seat belts?

Last edited by BackInA88; 06-19-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DKPhoto
Steering wheel controls all work, except for the volume down button. Other than that the rest work fine. Ive taken everything apart in the steering wheel and cleaned the connectors with no luck. If it were something like the pre-tensioner or buckles, wouldn't it give me a code for that? I have already checked all the connections under the seats and behind the glovebox and everything was connected fine.
I'd be curious to see if your non functioning volume control is a sign? Causing your SLS light. Im not sure if ALL steering wheel functions quit, or just some? When your clock spring is failing.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:27 PM
Mudding

I’m going to try and go through and clean all the connectors again and maybe I’ll get lucky. The clock spring might be something to look into as well.

Other than that has anyone had the same airbag code I’m getting?

Quick Reply: SRS light fix?