Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall in Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stall in Idle

The vehicle in question is a Discovery 11 2002, After running out of fuel at a fuel pump the vehicle will not start. After about 1 hour it started and ran for 15 minutes in idle less if accelerating. Now it idles exactly for 15 minutes and stalls. Replaced fuel pump, relay, and fuse with new ones. It still idles 15 minutes, stalls, will not start again for an hour. Don't have a pressure tester. It seems like pump or fuel supply is cut off at a a given point and then resets itself allowing for restart.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Crank position sensor.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Winching

How do you run out of fuel at a fuel pump?

I am kidding

Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Crank position sensor.
What he said.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

In the future, you need to ask questions before blowing so much money on un-needed parts.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:48 PM
7th Gear

I replaced the unit and it does not stall at this point but every few starts it has a hard start. On the actual replacement I have to comment that unless you have a left handed hobbit available to assist,you need to remove completely the center part of the exhaust to be able to reach the cps. The plug is located in a very limited space and an extra hand holding one part of the plug while the other is pushed in makes the job much easier.
The exhaust bolts are sure to be rusted in place so a proper product should be acquired to loosen them, I replaced the nuts with stainless steel ones.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
7th Gear
Question

The DII will not start. after replacing all those parts it started to start with some difficulty and eventually ended not starting at all. Is there anything else that could be the cause of this failure to start?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked if you have spark?

If yes, have you check the fuel rail pressure?

You are now into territory where doing proper diagnostics tests are critical.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by deucalion
I replaced the unit and it does not stall at this point but every few starts it has a hard start. On the actual replacement I have to comment that unless you have a left handed hobbit available to assist,you need to remove completely the center part of the exhaust to be able to reach the cps. The plug is located in a very limited space and an extra hand holding one part of the plug while the other is pushed in makes the job much easier.
The exhaust bolts are sure to be rusted in place so a proper product should be acquired to loosen them, I replaced the nuts with stainless steel ones.
I managed to complete the CPS swap without removing the exhaust and I nearly got my forearm stuck!

Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 PM
7th Gear

It appears that there is no power to the pump. Checked out the relay and fuse , no problem there. Also removed cleaned and replaced the air control valve but no change.

Quick Reply: Stall in Idle