Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it the starter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the starter?

The last 2 days my 03 has been giving me fits starting. It makes a few very slow clicks, then after 5 seconds it cranks right up. then if I turn it off it will crank right up. Let it sit for a few hours and trouble again.
I had the battery and alternator tested, and they are fine. I was told the only way to really check the starter was to take it out and bench test it. That I plan to do wednesday. Any other ideas you can offer?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Perhaps the solenoid in the starter. But before the fun of removal, which will involve several extensions and working from in front of the axle to get a straight shot, consider checking battery lugs and wires, and follow battery (-) wire to where it ties to frame ground, plus any large wires inside the underhood fusebox, plus large wires on starter. You are trying to eliminate any corrosion or poor connection. Starter draws about 300 amps for a very short period of time, so it does not take much of a poor connection to keep that from working.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling

last night it sat for the longest stretch yet. So when I went out today the door locks were sluggish, and when I tried to crank it the alarm went off. This happened several times before it slowly turned over. Ok now thinking they were wrong about the battery being ok and that out is my culprit. I guess I need to let it sit, and then find a way to test the charge on the battery.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, when you had the charging system tested, what was the running voltage,m fine doesn't tell us anything? From what you are describing your charging system is shot, voltage ahs to be 13.6 to 14.4.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

If battery dies while alarm is armed (vehicle locked) you will have additional fun to deal with. Best to take to another store for testing, or invest in your own meter. The charging volts need to be as Mike said, so the alternator can charge the battery. And with truck not running, measure battery volts, then turn on head lights, volts should not drop below 12 volts with that small load on the battery. A battery with a dead cell will drop down in the 9-11 volt range.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I cannot answer Mike's question since I did not see the readout. As soon as I get the chance I an going to check my connections. Since it is always cranking, and just taking it's time. It may be an issue of my posts, or terminals needing a good cleaning. I will also be taking Buzz's advice and inspecting my wiring. If that does but work I'll take the battery in to be tested out of the truck. It's a 2 year old battery, and even though it should still begood, it's a 2 yet old battery.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

See https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...hlight=voltage

That is a gadget that you can plug in the lighter and check the electrical system, if you want to do it yourself and not bother with a voltmeter.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Three Wheeling

All is well that ends with a free replacement. I cleaned my terminals, checked my wiring for any corrosion or bad grounds, and still had the issue. So I took out the battery, and took it back to pep boys to have it checked. Wouldn't you know the battery was bad after all. And since I bought it from there I recieved free replacement because it was within the 36 month warrantee.
I appreciate all of your advice, and I do try to follow if I am mentally able.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

So who tested it in your first post?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Three Wheeling

I took it to Autozone. They came out and tested out while it was in the truck. I was so set that it had to be something other than the battery that I did not think twice about it. The more it occurred yesterday the more I thought it might be a good idea to take it out and have it tested. And to do this agree it had sat for a few hours.

Quick Reply: Is it the starter?