Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007 | 05:12 PM
|
Camel Trophy
Default starter

Ok, after going through some very deep water early Saturday morning, the truck was fine. The mats were a little wet, but nothing big. No water standing in the cab. Sunday afternoon, I pulled up to the car wash and the guy with the bug scrubber told me I was leaking fluid. I popped the hood and saw coolant running out of the bleed screw. I washed it and drove home. temp gauge never moved. The top of the plug fell off when I touched it a few hours later. I replaced it yesterday, bled the system. All was good. I get home today, and with it idling in the driveway, the starter engages for no reason. I drove to the dry cleaners, and when I got back, I got under it again while it was idling. After a few minutes it did it again, only this time it let go before I could get it shut off. Anyone had this? It's almost like my appendix is sliding back and hitting the flywheel....

Plus side is no oil leaks, no coolant leaks and temp holds steady....

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before I go through the chore of pulling the starter. I was going to pull my Y pipe anyway to clean up the welds for my cats, but I am not ready to yet...

Old 09-11-2007 | 05:59 PM
|
Camel Trophy
Default RE: starter

nevermind. Ugh. Worse. I guess having my door open while it was raining (ora leaky windshield cause I see it drip every now and then) has gotten my fuse box and/or MFU wet. I can turn on the parking lights and the truck will start. I am taking everything apart to dry as we speak. damn

I had to edit this to make sure it was known that if I turned the parking lights on, with the keys 100ft away in a locked drawer, the truck would turn on. After a few seconds, the starter would engage. All by its'self. That was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I just turned the lights off and the truck died.

After taking the fuse box apart, I can see water has been sitting for a long time. Several corroded green spots in different layers. The MFU looks good, though.

Old 09-11-2007 | 07:43 PM
|
Camel Trophy

and the fun continues. I am going to have to replace the fuse bow now. One of the connectors on the back pulled a little corroded pin out with it. The connector looks ok, but the pins in the fuse box are FUBAR. Thanks for listening, maybe someone else might run into this later on.

Old 09-12-2007 | 12:15 PM
|
Camel Trophy

Just an update, if anyone cares. Went by my local rover shop and they were finally deciding to part out a 97 identical to mine. I got the fuse box pulled by me for $75. It is in now and everything is back to normal. All of the accessories controlled by the MFU are working (rear fogs did not work) and I am happy. I even got a drivers side door handle thrown in. I am going back next week for the headliner. I am at ease now, just waiting for the next hiccup.

Old 09-12-2007 | 12:44 PM
Mudding

Where is your local hotspot? Wonder if the Alarm ECU is the same on a 96/97? Think I need one....Used to live off Riverside and 81st...Now in KS. and may as well be buying parts for a spaceship with the wierd looks I get trying to find parts. NOT ONE IN WICHITA!!!! Do-Da (same thing)

Old 09-12-2007 | 12:52 PM
|
Camel Trophy

O'Brien's performance auto at 6th and Peoria. The owner and his wife are really nice. If you call, ask for David. There is another guy that works the desk, and he is kinda a butt. They do know their rovers. The fuse box wasn't too hard to pull out if you have long skinny fingers, you may want to pull it and inspect it. I know the alarm ECU has to be programmed to your truck, so you will have to get it somewhere to have it done. Call them, they may have a few suggestions.

(918) 583-7889

Good Luck.

Old 09-12-2007 | 01:12 PM
Mudding

Great, thanks a bunch. I pulled the fuse box, and extremely clean (just like the ecu). My symptoms are:
-No ignition
-No check engine light in any key position (means ecu not talking to ecm...I think)
-No alarm light
-No door locks

Hope autologic can re-learn another unit to my truck as the dealer (you guessed) 3.5hrs away in all directions from doo-daa[:@]

All symptoms happened at the same time which leads me to believe the ecu is crap. As with your vehicle, I had a water issue and had to replace alot of relays and the emergency maint. reminder.

Thanks again, I am going to call now!

Old 09-12-2007 | 01:14 PM
Mudding

sorry emmission mant. reminder

Old 09-12-2007 | 03:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Does anyone know if it's super difficult to remove the positive battery cable from the starter? I don't need to replace my starter just the cable.

Old 09-12-2007 | 03:21 PM
|
Camel Trophy

I didn't get that far...

Quick Reply: starter