Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter or Crank Position Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 01:11 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Starter or Crank Position Sensor?

Disco started fine; left the house, got a hair cut, started again, drove across town; shut it off, ran in store, came back out.....”click, click, click, click”.....in rapid succession. No single “click”.

audible sounds, under dash (maybe), from under vehicle around starter (maybe)...

had to AAA it to the house....

any ideas? Or alternate theories?

battery is brand new, fully charged.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

On the plus side, at least you've been able to get a haircut lately - I haven't been able to get one since February.

If I remember correctly, the CPS fault will present itself where the engine will turn over, but won't actually start - it sounds like you're just getting clicking instead of the truck turning over. So the starter is definitely a possibility.

That said, it doesn't sound like starter failures are all that common. What was the battery voltage when you measured it? Any chance that the alternator is shot and your new battery hasn't been recharged enough, and can't turn over the engine?

Old 05-26-2020, 02:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

A faulty CPS still allows to the engine to turn over, just not start. A rapid click is usually indicative of a low battery so I would second boston4's suggestion of taking a look at the battery voltage. I keep my scangauge looking at coolant temperature (obviously) and battery voltage because I've been stranded by a rebuilt alternator which just barely didn't keep up with charging my battery, so it was fine for a while...until it wasn't.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Brand new battery means the terminals have recently been undone. Check for tightness. I agree that rapid clicking indicated a problem with the battery itself and/or its connections.

Second the haircut comment.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by boston4
On the plus side, at least you've been able to get a haircut lately - I haven't been able to get one since February.

If I remember correctly, the CPS fault will present itself where the engine will turn over, but won't actually start - it sounds like you're just getting clicking instead of the truck turning over. So the starter is definitely a possibility.

That said, it doesn't sound like starter failures are all that common. What was the battery voltage when you measured it? Any chance that the alternator is shot and your new battery hasn't been recharged enough, and can't turn over the engine?
the event occurred with a 3 month old batter in place; I thought battery was dead; jumped it; 3 different vehicles; 3 different sets of cables; couldn’t get “spark” with cables on connection to battery terminals. Took battery off switched it out with brand new battery; cleaned reconnected terminals....nothing, same thing “click, click, click, click.”

my ODB2 reader was up and running prior to no-start.

183° temp, and 13.5v on the alternator.

so the CPS will try to turn the motor over...but it won’t spark.....good.

So I believe it is the “infamous” starter solenoid issue not allowing the plunger to engage the contacts.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

so where is the clicking coming from? Starter solenoid? engine bay? Under dash?

If faulty gear position signal received, that creates a no start condition...

Bad grounds, low bat, bad key switch, or starter relay...lot's of things to check.....

Old 05-26-2020, 02:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ahab
Brand new battery means the terminals have recently been undone. Check for tightness. I agree that rapid clicking indicated a problem with the battery itself and/or its connections.

Second the haircut comment.
IF the alternator had been the “roadside” issue....it would have jumped off either from my boost box or the 3 separate vehicles I tried.

IF the alternator had been the issue in my driveway....the battery has been on a trickle charger all night....went out while ago “click, click, click, click.”

P.S.

yesterday was first day for barbers in KY since Feb, 24th...yeah!

Old 05-30-2020, 10:26 PM
Mudding

Brand new starter delivered today....installed; “click...” took starter off tested it off of battery....solenoid engaged Motor didn’t spin up.

BRAND NEW!

now another week of waiting for another starter....

I’m just about at the end of my rope with this damned truck....

Old 05-31-2020, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Don't blame the truck for a bad refurbished starter. I went thru the same situation about 2 months ago with my 95 D1. Refurbished starter from Advance Auto & it was DOA.

The following users liked this post:
ReconDoc83 (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 11:32 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Don't blame the truck for a bad refurbished starter. I went thru the same situation about 2 months ago with my 95 D1. Refurbished starter from Advance Auto & it was DOA.
this one was a brand new (not refurbished) from DB Electric...took a week to get here.

not that it makes much difference...just being specific.

I should have thought twice about ordering from them; I am still fighting with them of a starter I bought from them for my wife’s KIA; it operates fine...but it whines when keyed over.

I am a retired, disabled vet and money is very tight on my disability; I have to be very frugal, and it was $30 cheaper than other places...I guess you get what you pay for.

Ugh....the lost time in installing, uninstalling, hassle to return, wait times to get another new one...isn’t worth the $30.

Quick Reply: Starter or Crank Position Sensor?