Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter failure?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can confirm that I have a starter failure, so I can start fixing it?

I have a Discovery 98, 2.5 TDI. Yesterday I was coming home from a long trip, I stopped by the store and from there started the engine again and drove home. There was a bit of a strange noise, witch wasn't related to the engine running, turns out - I think - that the starter had been running for the last 5 min of the trip. (Since I started the engine again it seems it was jammed up). So now my car doesn't start. Lights go on and all but the starter wont run at all.

My question is if the problem is solely that my starter is broken or do you think I damaged some other parts of my engine too? I was wondering, since then I can only get a new starter and fix the problem myself? Do you have any suggestions on what kind of starter I should get.

thank you very much for all your help, my car broken down has left me in a bit of a though spot.

Paul

Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Starter failure?

So the starter was still running while you drove home? It overheated itself and burnt itself out and now it is toast.
New starter and you should be golden. And no you didnt hurt the engine.
Best place to buy a new starter? Either your local autoparts store or the dealer. The autoparts store will most likely be cheaper in price.