Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter motor going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Starter motor going bad?

Re: 2001 DII, 157K miles

I have the original factory-installed starter motor in the vehicle. Lately it seems that I get slow cranking when I start the vehicle, but most times it starts up like it was new.

Are there definitive tell tale signs that the starter motor is failing?

When they do fail? How gradual is the failure? (weeks / months)

C

Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually a clicking sound when you turn the key and the starter wont turn of course. How old is your battery?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Start with the free stuff, get your battery and alternator tested.
Most autoparts stores can do that.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Drifting
Question Re: Starter motor going bad?

The battery is about 18 months old, but it's a cheap autozone battery, maybe it's time for a new one?

Old 08-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Mudding

Could be also if you have a high wattage audio system in it without the appropriate cap that will drain your battery over time.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Starter motors don't usually fail by spinning slowly. They spin slowly because of low current getting to them which eventually fries them.
Low current can be caused by several things.
The obvious low charge in the battery, that can be because of shorted cells, sulfation, or just a generally dying battery. Or it can be caused by an alternator that isn't charging properly. Or bad connections between the alternator and battery, or battery and ground, or both.

Or it can be turning slowly because the connections to it are poor, loose or corroded. Have you checked them? Batter to starter, starter to ground, ground to battery?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Winching

x2 what anticrist said.

Do you have a voltmeter? Actually what does your voltage read on the dash guage with the disco running w/your headlights on. Should be 14+- volts (its now off the alternator charge etc).

To be sure, you can run a voltage check on the battery by simply touching the terminals with the voltmeters. Should be 12 volts with the disco off. With it running, should be 14+-

If you have access to the starter motor (can see it touch it etc - I have not owned a disco yet am still researching) you can use the voltmeter accross the starter + and -. It should also be 14 volts with the engine running, 12 with it not etc.

If the voltage is low on the starter motor, you have a bad cable running from the battery to the starter, or a crummy connection (try cleaning all connections and apply some grease). In these cases, in my experience at least, it was a bad ground (thats most common).

If the voltage is normal, your starter motor is on its way out the door.

I replaced a few on jeep YJs. Same symptoms. It was the motor on the starter, etc. I had one last a month, another last one week.

Hope this helps. Your best friend here is a cheap voltmeter. Easy to use and can save ya some time and money.

________
Dick sucking lips

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Drifting
Default Re: Starter motor going bad? > could be fuel system

I checked out the electrical system and everything is fine.

The mechanic thinks that most likely this is due to the fuel system.

The problem is that when I turn the key in the ignition, the starter motor turns, but the engine does not turn on also.

He suggested that to star the car I just turn the key to the point where the fuel pump engages and sends gas to the engine, but not turn the key all the way.

Then turn back the key to the off position, and turn again fully. I did that and the car turns on fine. He thinks that this is because there is some clogging in the fuel lines, or the fuel pump migt be too old.

His fist suggestion is to do a fuel system maintenance (clean injectors, intake, etc.) What do you think?

Since the Disco II does not have a fuel filter, is there another part of the fuel system that should be looked at / cleaned?

So we will try this first, and if this does not fix the problem we wil focus on the fuel pump.

C

Old 08-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Winching

hmmmm wonder if its just your ignition switch. are they any symptoms while driving?
________
Free Online Xxx

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Drifting

No, not while driving. It has always driven fine. No vibration, no unusual sounds, very smooth.

Quick Reply: Starter motor going bad?