Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter motor going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do not do the fuel system cleaning, you guy is trying to empty your wallet.

You need a new fuel pump.
He knows that, he is just trying to take you for a ride.
Replace the fuel pump.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl082974
He suggested that to star the car I just turn the key to the point where the fuel pump engages and sends gas to the engine, but not turn the key all the way.

Then turn back the key to the off position, and turn again fully. I did that and the car turns on fine. He thinks that this is because there is some clogging in the fuel lines, or the fuel pump migt be too old.
Yes, could be the pump, or could be a leak in the fuel system somewhere.
If it runs fine once started and especially if it accelerates fine, I would lean towards you having a leak, rather than a bad pump. If your injectors are leaking they would cause that symptom. Could be a leak somewhere else also.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Verify it's not the crank shaft sensor also. The crank sensor is prone to failing and will not allow the fuel pump (and or the coils to work). A new crank sensor costs around $65 and a hours labor to install (or you can do it yourself). The crankshaft sensor is on the bell housing flange of the engine, on driver's side, next to the sump flange.

A bad fuel pump you would notice outside of just starting the rig, since you do not have any problems there might be wise to check the crank shaft sensor.

________
MERCEDES-BENZ CONCEPTFASCINATION SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Starter motor going bad? (no, may be clogged fuel line)

Since the last post in August, I have driven the vehicle only about once a week, and sent it in for inspection again.

The technician tells me the starter motor still looks fine. He cleaned the fuel injectors and he did a test on the fuel system:

He measured the fuel pressure while the vehicle is running and the fuel pump is operating. Apparently, the fuel pump is performing according to the manufacturer's specifications (withing the target fuel pressure range). This makes sense because there is no problem once the vehicle is running.

This leads him to believe that there is some sort of obstruction somewhere upstream in the fuel line. It's hard to diagnose on the DII because there is no fuel filter that one could just replace.

Is there some sort of filter built into the fuel tank assembly?
Or does the fuel pump have a built in filter (upstream or downstream)

Also, can anyone recommend an additive the works well with DII? (in terms of cleaning the fuel line).

I'm looking for alternatives to just replacing the fuel pump, which seems to be fine.

C