Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STARTER WOES!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STARTER WOES!!

So I am pretty sure my starter is bad. Removed sensor on exhaust so I could pop that heat shield off of the solonoid and expose the starter. I then removed the bottom allen bolt. My question is the top bolt. The heat shield is attached at the motor mount and I am not sure I could move it even if I loosened it so that top bolt seems impossible to get to unless I remove the exhaust manifold thus allowing the heat shield to swing further away. I have tried to get to it from underneath with no luck. Anyone done one of these recently??
Wayne

Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: STARTER WOES!!

You need like a 2ft extention on your ractchet to reach that allen bolt.
It is a PIA from what I have heard.
Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Drifting

I just did one on my 03 Disco. Such a pain! I literally had to get one of the guys in our shop (I work for BMW) to get under there and stick his hand up and hold the socket into the bolt while I turned it. I actually got it out on my own and I was able to hand tighten the bolt back in by hand but couldn't get aallen socket on it. Look for someone with small hands to help you out. FYI I didn't have to remove anything at all. I bent the heat shield back and that was it.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Overlanding

Thanx guys. I am givin her another shot at approximately 4:00 EST. Just knowing it can be done has reinspired me.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Overlanding

I found the portal.The way to the top bolt is through the center of the manifold and over the ac compressor. I connect my 3/8 drive-18 inch extension and my 10 inch extension with a swiveland a 5/16 allen socket, on the other endmy trusty craftsman ratchet. I snake my way through the steel and wires until my allen socket finds its target. I twist my ratchet slowly until the socket enters the bolt. I turn the ratchet, i feel the extensions straining from the force. I then take pause and question how deep my socket is in the bolt. I remove the ratchet and tap the extension with a hammer. When I am sure it has reached its proper depth I again turn my ratchet. My heart races and sweat drips from my brow as I strain but the bolt will not yield. I debate using my half inch drive ratchet with a reducer. I finally decide to use my 7/8 in wrench as a cheater bar. Again I turn, harder and harder. I wonder if my ratchet will break, or maybe an extension, or god forbid the bolt itself. I cannot stop though, i keep turning. The torque on the extensions is incredible and then......SNAP. A loud ear peircing snap. I shine my flashlight down to the bolt and as I continue to slowly turn the ratchet I see the bolt now gently backing from its impenitrable lair. The bolt has relinquished. It has given itself to me......for I am its lord and master.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Congrats!!!! But, uh,...........my way sounded way easier LOL

Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Wanix-Good job.
That story was WAY to short. I lust for more.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Sounds about as fun as changing sparkplugwires on a Disco II.

Willie

Old 10-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Drifting

I'm getting ready to change the wires on mine so I'll be sure to compare the two. I think I'd much rather change the starter from what I hear about the wires.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:04 PM
4wd High

Just did the starter on our 95 D-I. You just need the proper tool, a Cal-Van 115-1 or the equivalent. This is a 5/16 socket with a little spring inside to hold its 5/16 Torx bits. My 17-year-old sawed the Torx part off with his bandsaw, and voila! A 5/16 allen bit. In reality, you can buy the same thing from AutoZone or the like, less than ten bucks. He got the top bolt off relatively easily, but then he's young and strong. A 6 inch and 4 inch extension, Craftsman 3/8 ratchet, no problems. More on another post I'm just submitting re hard starting.

Quick Reply: STARTER WOES!!