Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter won't disengage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter won't disengage!

This is my first post. Before my question I want to say thank you for the help this forum has been, it has no doubt saved me money by being able to access the knowledge bank, troubleshoot and make my own repairs. Thanks to the mechanics that share their time and knowledge!

A little history on my problem. I had a small problem start up with the ignition switch a few weeks ago. When starting the my Disco II the key after starting would not return to the correct position. When it did this there was no power to the dash, radio, heater or ac, but if you wiggled the key a little it would click into the right position and the dash would come alive. Not a big problem until my wife was leaving from shopping and it did the same thing her but when wiggled the key the Disco died, when she tried to restart there was a clicking noise and then the smell of smoke. When I arrive there was a strong smell of burnt wiring. I tried to start it after inspecting it, the solenoid engaged two times and after that nothing.

I towed it home and reinspected the wiring and could not find where it had over heated, I cleaned the negative and positive connections leading to the starter. I then tried to start it and nothing again. So went and purchased a new started and put it on.

Here is the problem, after installing the new starter I connected the negative battery terminal, and the Disco started to crank. The key was not in the ignition but every time I touch the negative cable to the post it tries to start. I can turn a bolt but when it comes to electrical systems I'm lost!

Do I have a bad starter relay or is there a short in the ignition?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Braxton

Old 11-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your ignition switch is toast, but you knew that because it would stick and you had to wiggle the key.
Time for a new one.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And original starter may not have been bad. You have a D2, and have an advantage as the wiring diagrams are in color, and there are color pictures of the connectors. Very easy to follow. If you popped in the starter, which most consider a royal PITA, the tech manuals won't be much of a challenge. Here's a page from the RAVE, and the whole bowl of grits is a free download in my signature.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 crank.pdf (596.9 KB, 241 views)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seeing that you had to wiggle the key, that is a dead giveaway for a bad ignition switch. Not that bad of a job If I remember correctly. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the responses and help. Looks like I still need some help with this. I did as suggested and ordered a replacement ignition switch for the Disco II. It only took 1 1/2 weeks to locate one. This morning when it arrive I remove the old one. I was getting ready to install the new one when I decided to do a test before installing it. I figured that with the old switch completely removed I should be able to connect the negative battery cable and should expect nothing to happen. When I connected the negative cable it engaged the started, each time I touch the cable to the post it tries to start without an ignition switch. Like I said I'm not a wiz on electrical systems but something tells me this in not right.

Like described before there was a strong pungent smell of wires burning or overheating the night it happened. Am I wrong to think there might be wires that have melted together somewhere? If so what are the most likely points of failure in the wiring that would cause this? I do not feel comfortable installing the switch until certain it is safe.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 AM
4wd Low
Post Any suggestions would be helpful!

I have cleaned and checked the connections that I know are related to the starter, but still when I connect the neg battery terminal the starter engages. Again any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks

Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

see attached. Remove starter relay (#2). See if problem continues (melted and shorted wires). Swap relay with another one that looks identical, and is for a seldom used function. Sounds like relay is also stuck on. Print out previous drawing I sent you. See if you can find melted wires, that could continue to be a problem. Wires could be melted at under the fuse box where connectors attach.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 underhood fuses.pdf (1.00 MB, 263 views)
Old 11-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

That sounds like the relay is stuck in the closed (read start) position. Might have melted some wiring in the harness or the fuse box. You need to find that fuse or every time you put a starter or ignition switch, its gonna attempt to start and eventually, you are gonna need a new starter as well. The burning you smelt was the relay and wiring cooking.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
4wd Low
Post Thanks to all!!

Thanks to all who contributed to my repairs!! The Disco is back on the road. Just a quick run down on what I did!

There is no doubt that the ignition switch was the culprit. The other problem with the starter engaging without the ignition switch was the most difficult problem to isolate. I thought there had been wires or a relay burned the night it happened because of the burn smell. I inspected all the wiring harness under the hood, under the dash and tested the relay and found nothing but the starter would still engage when the neg bat terminal was connected. I had inspected all ground points and didn't see any corrosion but as a last resort went ahead and put new ones on. To my surprise the started stopped engaging so I'm guessing it was a bad ground although none looked bad. I put the new ignition switch in and it cranks perfectly!!

So again thanks for all the help in resolving my problems!

Braxton Greathouse

P.S. How does one give donation to the forum or individuals involved?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Your donation is providing accurate feedback, and stopping if you should see a Rover on the side of the road in need of a helping hand. Good job!