Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issues......

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues......

Some of you may have seen my post if you surf other forums. Sorry for the duplication if you've already read this post.[/align][/align]I have an '03 Discovery and here's my story....

About five weeks ago (I think) I climbed into my Disco after work and it hesitated for a few seconds before starting. I drove home and the next morning before work it started right up without hesitation. Then, after work, it did the same hesitation but started. That night I tried to drive to the store and it wouldn't start at all. My mom came over to my apartment the next day so I could have someone attempt to start it while I looked under the hood. I tried to start the Disco a few times to show her it wouldn't work. When she climbed into the driver seat to try to start the truck it started for her. Go figure. It drove fine the rest of the weekend. But then, Monday, it died completely. I had it towed to a reputable, independent repair shop near my apartment. The mechanic sprayed carb cleaner in the engine and got the truck to start. After that, he couldn't get the problem to repeat itself. He ran several diagnostic checks and according to him everything seemed ok. Also, no "Check Engine" light ever came on through any of this debacle. I picked up the truck. The mechanic had not replaced anything. The truck started fine for the next week or so. Then, one day at lunch the truck wouldn't start. The mechanic suggested that I spray carb cleaner in the engine to try to get it started. No luck. I checked the battery voltage with a multimeter and the batter had the proper voltage. So, once again, I had the truck towed to the mechanic shop. This time the mechanic replaced the fuel pump and filter. I picked up the truck the day before I had to leave for the National Rally in Colorado. I drove the Disco to Montrose, CO from San Antonio, TX and didn't have a single problem. I drove all through the San Juan mountains with the Solihull Society and I didn't have a single problem. And, I drove back to San Antonio from Colorado without any issues. I covered approximately 2,500 miles without trouble. I even got awesome gas mileage during the drive. I got back Monday morning at 4 am. Tuesday afternoon the truck hesitated a few seconds before starting. And, this afternoon the truck took several attempts to get it started. In the mornings there haven't been issues. I drove the truck to the same mechanic and he hooked it up to the computer. He didn't see any codes that made sense. Of course the truck would start right up when the mechanic turned it on and off a few times. This morning the truck started without hesitation. It's seems like it's more likely to not start in the afternoons. So, here I am waiting for something to break, I guess. Anyone ever had these symptoms with there Disco. I'd like to know what to do next.

Justin

P.S. The National Rally was AWESOME! If you've never been, and you love driving your Rover through beautiful country I strongly encourage you to give it a try.[/align]

Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Starting issues......

So what were the code he saw that made no since, this is important?

Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The messages he saw were:

"Air Conditioning Clutch"
"Implausible Battery Voltage"

He said he had seen the "Air Conditioning Clutch" message before, but not the "Implausible Battery Voltage". He said they were warnings only but didn't have an associated code. Keep in mind that my "Check Engine" light has never come during all these issues.

The mechanic uses an Autologic computer which can read OBD II codes as well as traction control, ABSandhill decent control errors.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Does your check engine light come on when you turn on your key before the engine starts? If it doesn't come on the bulb is probably burned out.
As far as I can remember there is no such fault code for the a/c clutch. As for the battery statement. I would first clean and tighten all you battery cables and grounds, then go to a local auto parts store and do a load test on both the alternator and the battery. Your truck will do lots of stupid things when the voltage is a little low.
In the future always get the code numbers of the faults, there is nothing worse then a mechanic that trys to interpret what a fault code may mean.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately have the battery properly tested. All newer vehicles will do all kinds of stupid things with a battery thats "going bad". i.e. my mom has a '00 grand prix gt, and that thing gave my parents fits before they figured out that it was just a battery problem. They had the battery checked on several occasions and it checked out ok, but they changed it and haven't had probs for a long time now.