Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to think ahead...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to think ahead...

As I know I definitely want to change the tires sooner rather than later and they will probably be pretty expensive, I'd like to find out what I should be looking for.

Currently they are 255/55/18 (if I recall the middle number correctly). From what I have read, it sounds like I should switch to a 16 inch? If I do, will I need to tweak something else? I've seen folks mention lifts, spring coils, etc.

I want to be able to take it off road in addition to using it as my regular vehicle. I don't know if the photo helps, I can take others...this is the one from the dealer website.

Name:  7422978763_246001858_IM1_06_240x180.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  7.4 KB

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Starting to think ahead...

Switching to 16" wheels is a very good idea. You'll get more sidewall, a better tire selection, and cheaper tires too. You don't need to worry about lifts or anything else when switching wheels. The largest tire size (on a 16" wheel) without any rubbing or need for a lift is 245/75/R16. That is the size I run currently and had them before my 2" lift. I'm looking to sell my five 16" wheels after switching to a set of steel wheels, if you're interested. Follow the "pics" link in my sig and click on the album titled "The Garage". If you scroll down you can see the five wheels which are in great shape.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you want Annie, you can buy a set of steel rims and put your off road tires on those and then run the street 18" tires the rest of the time.
You might find a set of alloys for trade on Craigslist or e-bay, trade your 18"s for a set of 16"s kind of thing.
And just a FYI, DI rims will not fit a DII, you have a DII. They use a different bolt pattern for the lug nuts.
But D2Guy is correct, 16" rims will give you a TON better tire selection, not to mention that you cannot air down a 18" tire, the side wall is just to small. Youwill also get asmoother ride with the 16"s.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Annie-here is some home work for you, you MUST watch the movie The Gods Must be Crazy, it is required watching for all Land Rover owners.
If you cannot find it anywhere just shout and I can burn, I mean loanyou a copy and send it to you.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Overlanding

I had the same issue I bought General AT2 in 255/60(?)/ 18 the grip is quite good and they are good in the snow, I want to buy a spare steel set but other things always tend to come first.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Mudding

Should I do 7" or 8" for off road? Which is better?

I like the idea of two sets of wheels...it harkens back to my roller derby days where I had a set of outdoor beater wheels, and my indoor game day wheels. Pain in the *** to change every time...but it was worth it. Maybe I can apply the same logic to my Disco, although I do realize that changing skate wheels is much much easier than changing Disco wheels

Old 08-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Team Owner

Are talking about a 7" lift? NO!!
Here is where you need to start, get the 16" rims and tires, take it off road and see what it can do.
A lift that big is for the guys with really small...well, they need to over compinsate for what they and their trucks are lacking.
You have bought THE best 4x4 in the world, all you may need it a 2" lift, but wait on that, you need to find out what the truck can actually do.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9268D2ABP.cfm
Check that out.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Mudding

No not LIFT...haha. If I did that I'd have to move back down to Tucson, hang fake ********* from my trailer hitch, and put a decal of Calvin peeing on the Chevy symbol on my back window.

My owner's manual says:

7 x 16
8 x 16
8 x 18

Is 8 and 7the width of the tread while 16 and 18 is the width of the tire from top to bottom?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Team Owner

Sorry, us men are always thinking about, never mind.
16" is the diamater of the rim. So from the top of the rim to the bottom of the rim it is 16", or 18" in your case.
The 7" is the width of the rim.
Both of these mesurments are of the rim alone without a tire mounted on it.
If you go to www.tirerack.com you can look up tire sizes and tires for your truck.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Mudding

Ahh, I see.
I know my tires are 255/55/18

What should I use for off road? I know I should get 16 in. steel rims, but what size tire should I go with if I were to go to a store or order online or something?

Quick Reply: Starting to think ahead...