Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering box rebuild

Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Steering box rebuild

When I got my disco 2 I found that the ps fluid was leaking badly and the ps pump has been running practically dry. I occasionally get a wired cracking sound from the steering shaft/box. So I'm replacing the pump, but was also thinking about rebuild the steering box. The question I have is whether I should rebuild the one one the car or get a used one (which hopefully wasn't ever running dry) and rebuild that.

Any advice?

Old 05-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I’ve never rebuilt mine. There is a power steering box rebuild kit that can be bought with all the correct o-rings and fittings.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling

I already have the kit, just wondering whether the old box is ok to rebuild after it's been running on low fluid for who knows how long

Old 05-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Generally speaking, rebuild kits are meant for fixing leaks, not solving mechanical issues, unless the kit comes with internals(it doesnt)

So if you are getting noise, poor action, or other issues from the box with it properly filled, the rebuild likely wont help

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (05-31-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 11:02 PM
Rock Crawling

The noise I get only happens when the fluid is low. I'm assuming that if the box has been run with low fluid the seals are most likely worn - it's more of preemptive strike. The question is whether running a p/s box with low fluid ruins the mechanical components or are they still ok.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 401 Likes on 278 Posts

I just went through this with a very loose steering box. Turn the wheel off center a turn and plenty of play. I had same dilemma:

A) used of unknown accident, trauma, usage, condition, run about 200$ or so from a place I could return it to if needed.

B) re-manufactured...not sure what was actually rebuilt in it, but probably not the mechanicals to any significant degree (maybe mix and match?), definitely the seals, paint, etc...400-500$

C) New: best option if cash available (and if you do not want to do the install job again). Price has gone up in last few months. I got mine off ebay from a super nice dealer, original 03-04 part number, in original wood box from England, original fixing bolt, for about 800$ shipped. Had phone number listed and easy to deal with.

Basically, the only two things I really care about are steering and brakes.....closely followed by decent tires..

Old 05-31-2019, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling

I actually ended up buying two used ones, so with my original one I have three, so hopefully I will be able to cobble up one decent box. Thank you for advice!

Old 05-31-2019, 09:58 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a spare ps gearbox for my 2004 D2 that I wanted to rebuild and store as a backup. A new unit cost over $1,000 and a professionally remanufactured unit sold through a parts supplier like DAP Enterprise costs around $800 give or take plus core charge. I did some research and found the guys at powersteering.com. Reached out to them and decided to ship my old unit to them for a professional rebuild, cleaning and painting. They quoted me $480. I will update in 3-4 weeks when I get my unit back.

PowerSteering.com

Old 06-01-2019, 12:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I have a spare ps gearbox for my 2004 D2 that I wanted to rebuild and store as a backup. A new unit cost over $1,000 and a professionally remanufactured unit sold through a parts supplier like DAP Enterprise costs around $800 give or take plus core charge. I did some research and found the guys at powersteering.com. Reached out to them and decided to ship my old unit to them for a professional rebuild, cleaning and painting. They quoted me $480. I will update in 3-4 weeks when I get my unit back.

PowerSteering.com
I bet they just used new seals and painted it.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:56 AM
Rock Crawling

It took me 3 hours to take apart all 3 boxes - it's really easy. It looks like the bearing race on my original worm gear shaft had worn and got pitted. One of the other boxes had a perfectly fine worm gear shaft so I've used that (it was super rusty and beat up on the outside so I opted to swap parts into my original box, which is in much better shape). It took about an hour and a half total time to replace the seals and put it all back together (while I was waiting for the plastic seals to shrink back I managed to sand blast and paint the casing). Total cost was $80 for the seal kit and $120 for the box that I've use as parts donor (I'm not counting the third box since it's left intact). If anyone needs any pointers, lmk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering box rebuild