Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering shaft coupling worn? (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 04:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Steering shaft coupling worn? (Video)

I’ve been chasing down the 45-50 mph wobble for a while.

Swapped the easy bits like this kit from L8… https://lucky8llc.com/collections/di...od-end-bar-set

Just tightened the little screw on the steering box following the rave instructions. I got about 1/2 turn on the screw, backed it off ever so slightly.

While in there, I noticed my steering shaft has up and down play. Rotationally its rock solid. The steering wheel is now connected mm perfect to the pitman arm movement.

Have a look at the video. Its hard to see how that coupling is fixed together. But it looks to me like there are actually some loose bolts!!?

Has anyone fiddled with this before? Does my up and down movement have cause for concern? Perhaps there is supposed to be a bit of play?

Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0140.MOV (9.43 MB, 206 views)

Last edited by cappedup; 04-29-2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Bump.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't know about the steering column being linked to a 50 MPH Vibration, but yours is sure worn. The new parts are pretty affordable (#12 in the diagram).
https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/discovery-2...nt-repair-kit/

Old 05-07-2022, 10:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the reply. I’ve looked at the part you’ve linked to, and it doesn’t seem to match where I have my ‘play’.

in the video, my play is around this area….

The part you link to looks different.

am I missing something? I’m happy to take a punt on the cheap replacement U joint. Although it looks like an awkward one to access..

Old 12-15-2022, 11:26 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem.

Any luck with solving this play? Was it rely the ujoint, or was it the coupling with the heat shield on it?

​​​​​​

Old 12-16-2022, 11:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

video looks like abnormal amount of 'play' at the steering box input shaft AND the steering shaft safety coupler, AND possibly of the main steering shaft (the part the steering wheel connects to)

You need to remove the safety coupler/ U joint and test the steering box input shaft AND the main steering shaft for 'play'

If you do replace the safety coupler/U joint, be aware that there are some cheap/ wrong versions out there: one vendor sells the wrong size part. And with another version, the clamp bolts will strip very easily and should be replaced with through bolts and locking nuts!

Old 12-17-2022, 11:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I had a new steering shaft completely disconnect from the firewall side splines early this summer in a parking lot. This was 10 minutes after being on the highway! Ordered another under warranty. Upon install it just slid on with no resistance. Returned that one as well. Bought an excellent condition used one. It was OEM. It had to be tapped on the spines with a rubber mallet before even tightening the retaining bolt. That's how it should be. If you ever replace a steering shaft and you don't have to tap it on, don't use it. If it slides on very easily, it is a cheap version and will come loose. You do not want that happening at 60mph!!!

Old 12-19-2022, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TomE
Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem.

Any luck with solving this play? Was it rely the ujoint, or was it the coupling with the heat shield on it?

​​​​​​
OP here. I replaced that joint which didn’t remedy the situation.

I want to return to look at the steering box adjustment, as I’ve only played with that once.

Following that, I have noticed a very small amount of play on the lower ball joints, so possibly suspect that as the real (and harder to fix) culprit.

My steering joint replacement was from Atlantic British.
https://www.roverparts.com/steering/...mns/QME500060/

Not cheap. But seemed to be a very good part.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Is there a consensus on ball joints causing this wobble? I have the same problem but at this point I've only had the tires balanced as a potential fix, which wasn't. I put the truck on the lift and tried to rock each tire side to side and while there was a little slop, it transferred all the way back to the pitman arm so it doesn't appear to be rod ends. There is a pretty good leak at either the box or the pump in this particular truck, the reservoir doesn't seem to be losing a whole lot of fluid but it's definitely wet below them. I need to put a different truck on the lift to compare the slop but I'm wondering if that's the easiest way to tell your ball joints are bad. There's no wander and if you don't take the truck on the highway you'd never know, but right about 50-55mph there's a definite shaking/wobble in the steering wheel.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I found my lower joints had play when I rocked them from top to bottom. Ie truck raised, one hand top of wheel, one hand bottom.

It certainly wasn't much, but I was able to see the actual joint moving when I peered around the wheel doing that.

Its also not enough play to make me worried and jump to fixing it. I’m waiting to see if something else develops as a potential cause, before committing into that job.

It’s certainly irritating.

Mine is at about 48mph.

Quick Reply: Steering shaft coupling worn? (Video)