Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Shake, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Question Steering Shake, HELP!!!

OK, this is bugging the crap out of me. When I bought my 03 Disco last year I noticed a shake in the steering when I hit small potholes at highway speed. I put it down to worn components, so I investigated and replaced both steering rods, all 6 front radius arm bushings, all 4 shocks, OME steering damper and adjusted the steering box. I checked the balljoints and are fine. What am I missing!? Is this normal for these vehicles? Its not really a safety issue but is just annoying and not befitting such a heavy duty vehicle. I have spent much time and effort to bring this vehicle up to snuff (head gaskets, front timing cover, was cracked but not leaking, suspention parts, full synthetic oil everywhere) only to have crappy loose steering!!!! I look to you, learned Disco owners! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Could it be a worn steering box? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhyslegge
OK, this is bugging the crap out of me. When I bought my 03 Disco last year I noticed a shake in the steering when I hit small potholes at highway speed. I put it down to worn components, so I investigated and replaced both steering rods, all 6 front radius arm bushings, all 4 shocks, OME steering damper and adjusted the steering box. I checked the balljoints and are fine. What am I missing!? Is this normal for these vehicles? Its not really a safety issue but is just annoying and not befitting such a heavy duty vehicle. I have spent much time and effort to bring this vehicle up to snuff (head gaskets, front timing cover, was cracked but not leaking, suspention parts, full synthetic oil everywhere) only to have crappy loose steering!!!! I look to you, learned Disco owners! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Could it be a worn steering box? Thanks in advance!
What about tires? When last balanced; how old? What air pressure?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Mudding

Tires are about 3000 miles old, pressures are by the book, and have been recently balanced, so probably not the tires. thanks, though!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.roversnorth.com/news/inde...om-the-shop-2/

He says it is for DI's but your truck has the exact same steering components as a DI.
And yes, it is a safety issue.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Mudding
Talking

Thanks Spike555, I hadn't even considered the Panhard rod bushings, but it makes sense now! Parts on order! Thanks a million!