Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel swap and airbags

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Steering wheel swap and airbags

A question for anyone who has changed their steering wheel for an aftermarket non-airbag one: What did you do about the SRS (airbags)?

I really don't like the standard wheel on my 2003 - if I adjust it so that the top is high enough to see the top of the instrument panel, the huge airbag obscures the bottom part, and vice versa. I would like to fit a non-airbag wheel so that I can actually see the whole of the instrument panel and at least part of the the switches.

But of course it has an airbag (I hate those things). Now, if it was a Rover car of a similar age, I know that I could remove the SRS fuse and disconnect the SRS control module and then change the wheel and all would be well. I could later on refit all the bits and pieces (for annual inspections) and the system would function as normal.

Can anyone tell me if the same applies to the 2003 D2? If so, where will I find the SRS control module?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
A question for anyone who has changed their steering wheel for an aftermarket non-airbag one: What did you do about the SRS (airbags)?

I really don't like the standard wheel on my 2003 - if I adjust it so that the top is high enough to see the top of the instrument panel, the huge airbag obscures the bottom part, and vice versa. I would like to fit a non-airbag wheel so that I can actually see the whole of the instrument panel and at least part of the the switches.

But of course it has an airbag (I hate those things). Now, if it was a Rover car of a similar age, I know that I could remove the SRS fuse and disconnect the SRS control module and then change the wheel and all would be well. I could later on refit all the bits and pieces (for annual inspections) and the system would function as normal.

Can anyone tell me if the same applies to the 2003 D2? If so, where will I find the SRS control module?

Thanks
Be careful with the airbag unit they can go off and you'll be wearing it for the rest of your life if you're unlucky. There is a time delay procedure for disconnecting the SRS which I believe is to disconnect the battery first (make sure you have your radio code handy) and wait for the stated period of time in RAVE which I reckon on longer say 30 minutes. If you disconnect the SRS permanently you may have a fault code appear on diagnosis and a light on the dash. I have a 2003 and personally I couldn't be assed with all the trouble each year but everyone is different.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Mudding

I'm happy enough with the actual process of disconnecting - I've done it often enough on other cars. I was more interested in the long-term issues: ie. will it all be OK if I have to put it back in for the annual inspection.

I really loathe the existing wheel - it is ugly, a terrible design and the fact that it blocks so much of the instrument pack is a real hazard, in my opinion.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi Richard, there shouldn't be any issues putting it back together every year provided you overcome and warning lights on the dash and codes showing when you strip it all out. Just be careful where you store the airbag wheel centre and don't drop it or treat it harshly. There are other things to consider when stripping out, the rotary electric 'gizmo' (can't think of the name), cruise and remote radio/cd/satnav electrics/controls and lights and indicator stalks.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:08 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

^Rotary Coupler Clock spring Not sure why its called that though.

The following 2 users liked this post by abran:
OffroadFrance (02-17-2015), YETIX (06-14-2023)
Old 02-16-2015, 04:08 PM
Mudding

Thank you.

The rotary coupler (clockspring - because it winds up and unwinds like the spring in a clock when you turn the wheel) should be able to be reused for the horn. The cruise doesn't work anyway, so no loss there, and I plan to fit an aftermarket head unit so the stereo controls would probably be useless after that.

Saying all that, I might sell the vehicle in a few months, anyway - in which case it would all be academic! I really don't enjoy offroading in it as much as in my Jeep (it's heavy, cumbersome and the power output is disappointing for the engine size) and on road it's a second-rate family car compared to my Grand Voyager - so worst of both worlds. It's also ****ing expensive to keep serviceable thanks to parts costs here, as well as guzzling fuel at almost twice the rate of the other two vehicles.

Still, serves me right for buying with my heart not my head.

Last edited by Richard Moss; 02-16-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 05:13 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sort of on the same subject...
Does anyone know if a Disco 1 drivers airbag can fit on the Disco 2 steering wheel?
... this would solve the horn buttons (I much prefer the whole airbag horn than the buttons that fail and fall out) and leave the cruise and audio controls.

Any/all information would be appreciated!
Matthew

Old 06-11-2023, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

You could install the entire D1 steering wheel onto the D2. I did the reverse and stuck a D2 unit onto a D1. I had to move some pins around for the horns/CC buttons, but that was easy enough. If you do install the D1 wheel into a D2 you will loose your steering wheel radio controls as the D1 used buttons on the dash for that vs on the steering wheel.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (06-11-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 06:12 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, I guess I could do without the audio controls.
Do you remember of the squibs are interchangeable? Are the airbag plugs the same?

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 06-12-2023, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Airbag plugs are the same as they both use the same spiral cassette. Horn/CC pin out is different. I simply just moved the pins over to the correct pin out.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel swap and airbags