Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel volume control

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 04:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Steering wheel volume control

Hi everyone,

A few years ago, I installed a stereo (myself) and put in a steering wheel control interface that takes input from the steering wheel controls (volume up/down, track next/last) and send it to the new receiver.

This is the device:
Amazon Amazon

PAC SWI-RC1

The system was working pretty well, but at some point, it wasn't as responsive as it was and sometimes will just refuse to adjust the volume (not sure about the track buttons since I rarely use those, but I use volume regularly - I think the mode button works properly too but I also rarely use that - I'll check again). The system works, but it's just not reliable and it can be frustrating... in the beginning it was working pretty well.

I'm not sure if this has to do with the control device or if it's something with the actual buttons on the steering wheel.

Have any of you had to replace these buttons or were you able to do some sort of repair?

Cheers

This is the part:

This is the SWI RC-1:

Old 09-09-2020, 08:04 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I haven't used the aftermarket interface, but my volume control broke a few years ago. Replacing that control is pretty easy. Disconnect the battery, remove the airbag, and from there its pretty straightforward. I think you need those security torx bits to remove the airbag screws. The ones with the hole in the center. But maybe not, its been a while since I've done it.

The following users liked this post:
neuropathy (09-22-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Red,

I'm wondering if the control wiring can be dealt with rather than replacing it or if there's anything else to repair the unit without buying another one, but it might come to that.

Are airbags normally charged in any way I should watch out for? Also, I've never replaced or serviced the airbags - should I do anything with that now? Do airbags usually have a date on them? Cheers

Old 09-10-2020, 07:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

It's unlikely that the device only lost the ability to control the volume, electronically speaking. If the other functions work reliably (would be worth further investigation), then I would look at replacing the wheel mounted switch assembly before purchasing anything else. Especially since you say you use the volume control all the time. As far as the airbag, nothing tricky. I don't think they are security Torx if that matters, I also can't recall either. As recommended, make sure and disconnect the battery first, then remove the Torx screws and pry the little yellow plug off the back of the bag, and just be gentle with it. Place it face up and away from where you're working if you remove it but if you had a helper hold it while you swapped out the switch you could probably avoid disconnecting it. No need to replace it. No "shelf life" that I'm aware of.

neuropathy (09-22-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

I’ve always understood to wait a minimum of 10 minutes after disconnecting the battery before tinkering near the airbag. I give it 30 minutes, I remember my high school shop teacher setting one off and that’s NOT something I want to be iffy about.

neuropathy (09-22-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 11:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 449 Likes on 262 Posts

You can check the buttons with an Ohmmeter. If a button is pressed, it causes a specific resistance:

VOL- = 0
VOL+ = 390
SEARCH+ = 860
SEARCH- = 1680
MODE = 2680
no button= infinite
(values in Ohm)

The following 3 users liked this post by Discorama:
ahab (09-11-2020), JUKE179r (09-23-2020), neuropathy (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 01:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Wow thank you for the values - when you run these kinds of tests, where does the probe on the meter need to be? Should I pull the stereo out and check things there? I remember it was a very tight fit with everything, since there's a sort of metal bracket in the middle of the bay in the dash where the stereo goes that made it difficult to fit the devices in there - it has wiring harnesses, the steering wheel interface and two sort of in-line devices that all took up a good amount of space and needed to be shoved in quite a bit... hoping none of the wiring got shorted in there, but other than the steering wheel issue, everything has been fine.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 449 Likes on 262 Posts

I would test at the harness which plugs into the stereo. This way you check for a broken connection of the harness itself in addition.

Remote is connected to C0098, pin 2 and pin 3.

Last edited by Discorama; 09-22-2020 at 02:30 PM.