Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo issue; amp but no Harmon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:39 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken08
So when looking for a wiring harness I need to check "yes, I have Harman Kardon"?
I can't believe this thread contains as much misinformation as it does. Simply, the amplifier you posted a link to was used with the Phillips system. The amplifier in the Harman Kardon system looks different and even has a big green label across the top of it that clearly says Harman Kardon. Also, the mids in the upper front corners of the front door cards clearly say Harman Kardon on the system. If they don't say anything, they are Phillips. The head units were pretty much identical. I've sold fifty or sixty of them over the years to customers who used them in both Harman Kardon systems and Phillips systems.

From what you have described, you DO NOT have the Harman Kardon system in your truck.

Yet another easy way to determine what system you have is to look at the label on the subwoofer assembly (not the color keyed plastic cover or the grille but under the cover). It will say Harman Kardon or Philips.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the great info. So the question remains: what is the correct wiring harness to get to put in a new head unit in this phillips system?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Why not just replace the Alpine unit you had in the truck with another OEM head unit?

I couldn't tell you what the correct wiring harness to buy to use a head unit different than the one that came in the truck. I would think the genius sales associates at places like Crutchfield and Best Buy should have an answer for you.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I have the full HK kit in my D2 ES7 (=HSE7 in US), more by luck than my spec. Harmon Kardon is splattered everywhere on it, the amp, speakers, blah, blah etc (nothing like advertising eh ) the CD/radio/satnav head unit is a Becker with an underseat 6 changer but on the lower spec trucks all of this was an optional extra.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I went ahead and picked up the Harman connector and it works properly now. So the issue is that the connector manufacturers have the specs wrong since they list the one I need as Harman only.
Anyway, it's in, I now have bluetooth, dvd, usb hard drive, back up camera and much better sound.
Thanks for helping me get here all, it was an adventure.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I can't believe this thread contains as much misinformation as it does. Simply, the amplifier you posted a link to was used with the Phillips system. The amplifier in the Harman Kardon system looks different and even has a big green label across the top of it that clearly says Harman Kardon. Also, the mids in the upper front corners of the front door cards clearly say Harman Kardon on the system. If they don't say anything, they are Phillips. The head units were pretty much identical. I've sold fifty or sixty of them over the years to customers who used them in both Harman Kardon systems and Phillips systems.

From what you have described, you DO NOT have the Harman Kardon system in your truck.

Yet another easy way to determine what system you have is to look at the label on the subwoofer assembly (not the color keyed plastic cover or the grille but under the cover). It will say Harman Kardon or Philips.
So the rave manual only describes 3 systems, I think.

The high line can have nav or not nav.

All my speakers said Phillips on them.

Was there two different high line systems put in these trucks?

Old 03-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts