Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stiff Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:36 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Stiff Power Steering

I just put in a new power steering pump, and did a really complete flush. The steering is a bit more consistent, but it is really stiff. The wheel is not returning to center either.

The last pump only lasted 12,000 miles.

Should I move on to replacing the steering box? I can't think of anything else that is could be.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:59 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I just put in a new power steering pump, and did a really complete flush. The steering is a bit more consistent, but it is really stiff. The wheel is not returning to center either.

The last pump only lasted 12,000 miles.

Should I move on to replacing the steering box? I can't think of anything else that is could be.

Hi CollieRover, if your steering pump only lasted 12K miles there is something else restricting or causing the box to fail. Possibly the steering box or have you replaced the steering shocker for a heavier duty type, some over-power the self cetering effect.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi CollieRover, if your steering pump only lasted 12K miles there is something else restricting or causing the box to fail. Possibly the steering box or have you replaced the steering shocker for a heavier duty type, some over-power the self cetering effect.
I do have an old man emu steering stabilizer on there.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I do have an old man emu steering stabilizer on there.
Hi CollieRover,

Suggestion: Try removing one end or both ends of the stabilizer then test the steering on a short drive around and see whether it improves. It may well be an HD stabilizer causing your problems and not the steering box. I have used a TF stabilizer and that restricts the self centering effect. In most cases the aftermarket stabilizers are too 'strong' for their intended purposes.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:08 PM
TReK

I found a steering box with 68,000 miles tested and warrantied 90 days for $105 shipped. Hopefully, she is good.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:50 PM
TReK

So, I am picking up my son at Daycare, minding my own business. I have to parallel park, no big deal. As I am parallel parking the fan belt starts squealing like a stuck pig. The power steering starts working, and I am freakin' out. I pull out, park, and the belt looks ok. The power steering again stops working, more fluid flow in the reservoir.

I am guessing that I have a valve in the power steering box malfunctioning, or there is a rock or something in my system.

I made it home and am parking her, until I can clear all of the lines for sure, and install the new power steering box.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:52 AM

Hi, this may help but I'll try find a more appropriate vid.

Ignore the commentary it's silly.

I seem to recollect there is an NRV (non-return valve, or one way valve) inside the steering box that may have some crap in it or rusted in situ causing the probs. Try bleeding the system but first try some back-pressure with a compressor on the F&R lines but be careful as there are many seals to blow on the box. Good luck.

Now here ya go, an excellent vid showing how the kit operates.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 06-03-2017 at 04:00 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-03-2017, 07:34 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi, this may help but I'll try find a more appropriate vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wjwB0AMCvk

Ignore the commentary it's silly.

I seem to recollect there is an NRV (non-return valve, or one way valve) inside the steering box that may have some crap in it or rusted in situ causing the probs. Try bleeding the system but first try some back-pressure with a compressor on the F&R lines but be careful as there are many seals to blow on the box. Good luck.

Now here ya go, an excellent vid showing how the kit operates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Ar1VxE4JU
I have a steering box on its way. I get a bit nervous with rebuilds. I may do it to my steering box to have for backup. Without a garage it's tough.

thanks for the links Off-road.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:19 AM
TReK

Wire Brushed and soaked all of the bolts, and nuts with Seafoam Deep Creep. I don't think I need to raise the vehicle, but probably will so I can use my impact wrench.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:49 PM
TReK

After really spraying and soaking the loser steering shaft U Joint, I took a drive to the dealer to get the bolts etc., and the steering is working much much better. There is not a lot of return to center, but it is doing it.

I got back and scrubbed the lower steering U Joint and that baby is shot. Looks like a driveshaft.

I am supposed to take my son to daycare the next couple of days, but will have to stay home with him. i do not want to lose steering out on the road.

Quick Reply: Stiff Power Steering