Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still don't know what I did wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still don't know what I did wrong

Thought my head gasket was leaking so bought the kit and tore it down, found out a intake bolt was loose and that's where the leak was but thought to myself what the heck I will just go ahead and change the gaskets while I'm this far, I had the heads worked and took my time, went through the correct torque and sequence but after two weeks the darn thing is leaking at the gasket, question is should I have to have the head surfaced again? I probably didn't drive it 150 miles and it never ran hot, I keep a close eye with scanguage, still can't figure out what I did wrong, I've changed them several times before on other trucks.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks. Did you use the tty bolts? Did you have any problems when you were torquing them down? Some of the problems that can happen are that something was stuck on the mating surface of block that you didn't see, the gasket got dinged up while you were putting it back together, or there was a nick or ding on the top of the block. You certainly don't need to have the heads machined again. If it were my truck, I'd pull only the one head and replace just that gasket.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Three Wheeling

I used a kit from lucky 8 I can't remember what the head bolts were but I didn't seem to have any problems other than just remembering the gasket didn't have top written on it so I used my best judgment how it fit, yes it sucks bad I was so upset when I seen the cooling running out, thanks duxd 2 for the advice

Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Those bolts would be tty (torque to yield) bolts. So after torquing to the specification you did the sequence again using the degree'd increments correct?

Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 AM
Three Wheeling

I did the 15lbs, then marked the bolts with a pen and then a 90 turn and another in the sequence, could it be I had the gasket on the wrong side, cause it didn't have top on it anywhere

Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like your torque sequence is accurate. Initial torque to 15 then two increments of 90 degree turns.

I'm fairly certain the gasket only sits one direction. The dowels in the block dictate which side faces up.

Are you certain its leaking from the head gasket?

As mentioned above there may have been some debris on the the mating surfaces creating a void allowing coolant to seep through.

Last edited by coors; 01-05-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

did the machine shop tell you how much they took off the heads?

Old 01-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Three Wheeling

Coors, while it's running and with a flashlight you can see a small stream coming between the block and head in the front, I was hoping it was something else it about made me sick when I seen for sure where it was

Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Machine shop didn't say, he just told me they were in good shape, the old man ha been doing it for years so I didn't question him, but when I get if off I may let him look at it again

Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 PM
3rd Gear

If I were you I would go through and try to retorque all the bolts in the prescribed sequence. Atleast before you start pullin parts off again and throwing more moeny at it. We had a vehicle a while back that had a leaking head gasket and all it needed was a second torque to get her going.

Quick Reply: Still don't know what I did wrong