Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still don't know what I did wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish there was just a final torque spec instead of doing the 90 degree turns, seems it would be much easier that way to know

Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there is use ARP head studs

Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost bought those, wish I would have now

Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you should compare the height of the head with what the RAVE says, these head have very little that can be taken off of them.
Back in the 80 when the want to shorten the combustion chambers they simply milled everything they could off the deck of the heads, leaving very little material to be removed in the future.
if the head have been decked too much then the head bolts will bottom out and not seal. the toque figure you will get will be the bolt in the block not the clamping of the head.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
you should compare the height of the head with what the RAVE says, these head have very little that can be taken off of them.
Back in the 80 when the want to shorten the combustion chambers they simply milled everything they could off the deck of the heads, leaving very little material to be removed in the future.
if the head have been decked too much then the head bolts will bottom out and not seal. the toque figure you will get will be the bolt in the block not the clamping of the head.
It's surprising this isn't taken into account by those making the bolts. 2-3mm shorter bolts would solve this I guess.

Is there an argument for taking a bit off new bolts, just to be sure this doesn't happen?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

No. And no.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Take it back apart and see what you did wrong.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

y
For TTY bolts. After the initial torque you are tuning the bolt 180 deg. 180 deg = 0.036" (1/2 rotation of 14 thread pitch) further the bolt has to go into the head. If the bolt did bottom out during the two 90 deg turns it would most likely break.

ARP studs are bottomed out (hand tight) when installed in the block. The nut could bottom out on the threads depending upon thread length. From what I recall, they went below the head surface. So, this isn't likely.

Last edited by acamato; 01-07-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you figure out what went wrong, please let us know. I'm planning to put my heads back on tomorrow with the TTY bolts.
I wonder if I should have opted for studs. I don't want to do this job again for a while.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
I'm fairly certain the gasket only sits one direction. The dowels in the block dictate which side faces up.
Nope, the gaskets can be installed upsidedown.

Whoever did them before my on my 04 put them in that way. The side with the metal showing should face up.

I dont think it would cause the leaking. The one thing I did see is the metal part of the gaskets leaves marks/imprints on the block.

Quick Reply: Still don't know what I did wrong