Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still driping

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default still driping

[/align]2000 D2

Guys, for those of you who experienced this, how long does it take for the oil that overflowed or dripped down the side of the engine when you did an intake and valve cover job, to make its way to the underside of the engine.

Reason for asking, is that I had that job done by the dealer a week ago. When I got home from picking up the Disco (thursday), I dove underneath and wipe the whole underside of the engine, to monitor the supposedly ex-leak. On saturday, my SLS pump quit on me. When I checked underneath to verify what was wrong with the pump, I slid down under the engine for the heck of it. I was very disapointed to see a couple of drips that had made their way to the bottom of the engine.

When I brought the Disco back to the dealer for them to check the pump, I mentioned that the Disco was still leaking. They temporarely fixed the pump and when I picked it up again, I asked about the leak. The service manager said that it was most likely the spill of oil from the gasket job that was making its way down the engine, since they did not shampoo it after the job.

Well, I just checked again and there were even more drops than last week. I took a cloth and wiped the whole underside and sides of the engine to monitor it again. So before I freak out if I find more drips tomorrow (going on an hour drive tonight to visit some friends), I'd like to know how long do you think I should wait before freaking out.

Thanks

steph[/align]

Old 02-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: still driping

Well, just came back from visiting my friends, and first thing I did when I got home, was put the disco on ramps, got changed and creeped under.

Most definitely still leaking. So far, all I had seen was oil. And now, even a drop of coolant (red) had made it's way down.

The clean-up I did was so good, that there's no way this could have been oil and coolant that were on their way.

It can sound as if I'm freeking out on a detail, but a week ago, I spent close to $1000.00 to get this leak fixed. So,of course I'm freeking out.[/align]

Old 02-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Call the service manager and let him know you want a appointment ASAP and you want them to completely clean and find the leak or you will contact Rover's customer service and file a complaint.
Mike

Old 02-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Will do that tomorrow!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

All right, been thinking about this..... So I figure that they either did not do the job well ( still weird, since the asked to keep the vehicle for 2 days, so they could take their time and allow some silicone to dry) or they charged me for the wrong job!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only other problem that would explain coolant and oil dripping along the engine, would be the head gasket.....Right ???? So I have a question regarding this matter. Wouldn't it show on the dipstick if coolant would be present in the engine ???? by showing way more liquid than the full line ????

Should they go ahead and do a head gasket job. Do they have to re-do the intake and valve cover job?? or can they take the upper part of the engine off withoutdisassembling it all ???

And last.... again, if it's the head gasket..... Before they did the intake job, I mentionned to the service manager that some people on Land Rover forums were telling me that the problem could very well be the head gasket and I would hate to spend a thousand dollars for a job that doesn't need to be done and that would not fix that annoying leak.

His answer to that was: Compared to an Intake gasket leak, a head gasketleakis a very rare thing on a Disco with such low milleage( 52000 miles). They happen, but on Discos with 125000milesand we didcheck it out and quoted you an intake gasket. didn't we???

After this being said, they went ahead with the intake gasket job. If it ends up being a head gasket leak, Do you think I should pay for the fix ???

Steph.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Why don't you call me and lets talk about this, or send me your number and I'll call you.
Mike
303-862-7680
Colorado

Old 02-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Just PM'd you.