General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

still no low range (linkage is fine)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default still no low range (linkage is fine)

a wile back, i posted something about not being able to shift my transfer case into low range. i think it was Bait who told me to tear up the center console and lube my linkage (tee-hee) anyhow. today i finally got around to doing that and the linkage apears to be fine. it seems like its getting stuck inside. i was wondering if it could be in that thing on the top of the TC. i undid the bolts for that but it seems like im going to have to pry it up somehow to take a look at it.

im giong to start playing with it again.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: still no low range (linkage is fine)

Don't play with it too much Does the diff lock work or low range not work ?

Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Rock Crawling

no low range. the diff lock is perfectly fine.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Rock Crawling

go back to the book on that one. prying up on something sounds like inflight missle repair. take care. Just gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 07-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Winching

Sounds like you can't physically push the lever forward ? If so, there is a interlock solenoid that prevents this. It gets complicated quickly. I'll try and walk ya through it, if your game ?

Old 07-31-2005, 01:17 AM
Rock Crawling

do the flying monkeys of gashleegashplorch migrate west to collect cheese wheels?

... yes, i am game.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Drifting

I know this is an ancient thread, but....I seem to be having same problem with my transfer case lever. It won't budge--it's stuck in the Hi position. The car runs fine, but it sure seems like the interlock device is acting up on me.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

BTW, My car is a Disco II year 2000 vintage. 139K miles.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:21 PM
4wd Low

I just "fixed" this on my 96' Disco. What happens is this: there's a switch that's engaged when the transmission is in neutral, which then energizes a soleniod on the transfer case. The solenoid pulls a pin out of the shift linkage inside the transfer case, thus allowing you to shift from high to low. This is a safety feature which keeps you from switching into low while driving along. On mine, the solenoid was shot. You have to remove all your center console stuff, including the PRND thing if it's an auto like mine. If you look back towards the passengers side you'll see a round aluminum cover with a wire coming out of it. This is the solenoid. What I did was to remove the cover, and take out the insides of the solenoid which includes the pin, and replace the cover. My low range works great now. The correct way would be to replace the solenoid, but I never wanted to mess with it again, and that's why I gutted it. You just have to be carefull now not to bump it into low while driving, or you'll grind your gears pretty good.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the great info! I think I'll give it a try (although my car's Disco II). Anyone know if the transfer case is same/similar between Disco I & II?

The dealer pointed to the solenoid & interlock mechanism as well, and said that they'd have to drop the transfer case to get to it. All for a tidy sum of $1177. I said no thanks.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:59 AM
4wd Low

I can see why they want to drop the transfer case to do it, as it's kind of a pain to get to if you leave it in. But it only took me a couple hours start to finish, to complete the whole thing. Regular hand tool are all it takes, aside from drilling out the rivets that hold the cover plates on the tranny tunnel. Plus it cost me nothing, I prefer that to the $1100 bill anyday.