Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Getting Used to my new Disco

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still Getting Used to my new Disco

Everytime I start my disco up, it idles up between 1000-1500 rpm's for about 30 seconds, then you can hear her drop down to right under 1000 rpm's. I was wondering if this was normal?

Also, about 1 second after i start her up i get this weird noise coming from right behind the dash, like between the dash and my knees, its almost like a crank noise....any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does the same thing with the idling sitting around 1000-1500 for a short time. i just assumed that this is normal. i dont know about the noise you mentioned though.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Overlanding

Hey Discoinchatty,

My Landy used to do that too.... Although I never heard any loud cranking noises. It should be okay though. We'll need Spike and DiscoMike to confirm though=)

Not sure if you have in other posts but, providing information about your vehicle is always a good start to getting help here.

On another note, I would have created a post but I figured Mike and Spike would look here so I'm going to leave my message here. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me in the past. Thanks Mike for walking me through steps over the phone and tolerating my ignorance! Thanks Spike for replying quickly to my PM's with good information.

I sold my Disco 2003 and put in for a BMW 335i 2009 not too long ago. I'm downgrading in physical AND engine size! Hope you all enjoy your landys and do so safely!

I'll be trolling the forums as much as I can!

Farewell and takecare all!

Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

spike pee'd in my gas tank

Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The idling part seems normal. If you want to try make it idle a little better clean your throttle body and open up your idler and spray some carb cleaner in it. I'm not sure about the noise the only thing there is the brake servo.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by blcp86
Everytime I start my disco up, it idles up between 1000-1500 rpm's for about 30 seconds, then you can hear her drop down to right under 1000 rpm's. I was wondering if this was normal?

Also, about 1 second after i start her up i get this weird noise coming from right behind the dash, like between the dash and my knees, its almost like a crank noise....any ideas?

Thanks guys!
If you idle goes up that high when starting, other then a cold start, this is not normal, Need to clean the t/body and idle control solenoid.
As for the drive shaft, crawl under the truck, see how many grease fittings are on the front shaft, in total, if only 1, you will need to get it rebuilt ASAP cause it is about to fail.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blcp86

Thanks guys!
Mike walked me through the t-body cleaning while I was doing the seafoam treatment, both of those together will change the way your rover feels. Its that good. My idle is down and much smoother now. Give that a shot and hoepfully you'll see good results.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you idle goes up that high when starting, other then a cold start, this is not normal, Need to clean the t/body and idle control solenoid.
As for the drive shaft, crawl under the truck, see how many grease fittings are on the front shaft, in total, if only 1, you will need to get it rebuilt ASAP cause it is about to fail.
Yeah mine only does it from a cold start, not everytime the engine starts up.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A high idle when cold is normal as already stated, it speeds up the warming of the cats so they work better/more efficently.

As for the other...do you have SAI (seconday air injection)?
It looks like this...
http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/a...tionengine.cfm

Old 07-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Mudding

Spike, yes it does have SAI...what does that mean?

Disco...yeah there is only 1, so I am going to start looking for a new one, because I dont think i will be able to rebuild it myself.

I did the throttle body cleaning, and that is what set off my SE light, but it went off the next morning...will the seafoam fix it? and how do you go about doing the seafoam? never used it before...

thanks again!

Quick Reply: Still Getting Used to my new Disco