Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Sorting out my Disco Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009 | 08:31 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Still Sorting out my Disco Problems

Okay so as some of you know, I recently purchased an 04 disco. Its a great car, and in great shape, but its got a few little demons just like any good disco. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, have the RAVE and ALL necessary tools required, my biggest problem is knowing WHAT do fix. First off, in the 4 days i've owned the car I've noticed oil spots appearing on the driveway. After putting the car up on ramps, I saw a green fluid dripping from one of the frame supports just forward of the transmission. It tasted sweet, but the coolant is pink/orange, could this be coolant mixed with the leaking oil? No other fluids are green, and its not the diff, its way behind that. The oil leakage is coming from around the oil pan area, Its hard to tell if its from the oil pan gasket or up higher in the engine leaking down. Here are a few pictures to help:

My Driveway after 3 Days

You can see the drips on the bottom of that frame support, as well as the oil on the bottom bolts of the tranny. It appears some liquid (I believe is coolant) is running down the side of the tranny and dripping onto that support bar.

More Oil Dripping from up there.

Oil

The Greenish Liquid obviously mixed with oil

More Oil? Leakage

I apprecaite any help that can be given.The local Firestone Complete Auto Care that I've been using for my other cars in the past said they can do a "pressure check" of the coolant system to determine what exactly is leaking, would this be a better option rather then tearing everything apart to find the leak? The mechanic I talked to said it was likely the weap hole of the water pump indicating that the water pump was on its way out? The only problem I find with this is that the fluid is green! HELP!

I just need some help identifiying WHAT needs to be fixed, after that I am pretty sure I can do the work.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by brianb883; 09-15-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2009 | 10:10 AM
Administrator

First, you have a coolant leak as well as the wrong coolant in the system, green is not to be used, Dexcool a pinkish/orangish coolant it to be used.
You might want to send me your tele number and I'll be glad to walk you thru what needs to be checked.

Old 09-15-2009 | 04:27 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Mike,

I sent you my number. The coolant in the reservoir is pink/orange, thats why I'm so perplexed as to the greenish color liquid leaking out. The best
I can figure is 2 fluids combining?

Old 09-15-2009 | 05:20 PM
Team Owner

Power steering fluid is/can look green.

http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

You can use ANY aluminum safe coolant, green or otherwise, as long as it is aluminum safe.

Once you two get it figured out over the phone PLEASE CLUE THE REST OF US IN!!

Old 09-15-2009 | 09:52 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Power steering fluid is/can look green.

http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

You can use ANY aluminum safe coolant, green or otherwise, as long as it is aluminum safe.

Once you two get it figured out over the phone PLEASE CLUE THE REST OF US IN!!
That makes more sense, I'll check the color of the power steering fluid tomorrow but I don't remember it being green looking from the engine resevoir, but on the other hand the coolant is definently NOT green, and unless it reacts with oil and turns green and sweetish tasting, its not coolant.

Old 09-21-2009 | 12:33 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Update:
I called up the dealer that sold me the car just about a week ago, and they agreed to take it in and check it out because it was less than a few days after they sold it to me that it started leaking. Their diagnosis was a bad intake manifold gasket. Apparently oil and coolant were both leaking out of it, mixing together hence the green colored coolant. I'm going to pick it up today, powerscrub the bottom as Mike suggested, and then wait a few days and check for any more leaking.