Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock d1 radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stock d1 radio

so i just bought this 94 and it has a aftermarket cd player someone stuck in, by stuck in i mean with as little effort, skill and intelligence as possible. the thing has no constant power so when the truck is turned off all presets and settings are reset. the speaker wires are added wires running down under the passenger seat then connect to the factory ones. so i assume there was an external amp from the factory there if not still there (there are a few electronic boxes under the seat). long story short what was in the truck originally, and what is the best way to put in a new unit/with internal amp utilizing as much factory wiring as possible. and maybe a wiring diagram link?

Old 05-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The DI came with a Pioneer tape deck and a 6 disc cd changer under the passenger seat was a option.
The factory amp is under the passenger dash.
I cant help any mmore than to tell you to take it to Best Buy and buy a new stereo and let them figure it out.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if you want to tackle this your self let me know and I will help you out, if the trucks wiring is a mess best buy may charge custom labor rates which can get expensive.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Pro Wrench

yea im gonna do it myself and ive dont plenty of stereos but the factory speaker wire connection under the seat threw me off. plus the subs, if you can call a 4" speaker that, in the rear door, i would like to use maybe as regular speakers. plus i assume there is extra wires behind the radio for the dash control buttons which i obviously cant use. i guess what i need is to know is how many components there are in the system. then i can go from there. heres what i know

head unit with three connectors in the back (1/wpower,1/wdash controls, 1/?) all asumtions of coarse

changer was under seat (1 connector)for speakers and power and controls

two other units under passenger seat 1 says onboard diagnostic display(does this display truoble codes), the other is a ? but it is unplugged at the moment

and you say there is an amp undeer the dash, does this power all the speakers or just the "subs", and do i need to bypass it because the new head has built in amp

i know this is a lot so thanks

Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ok here is what you need to know about your stock setup and where to go, stock deck has 3 plugs in it (I will get you a schematic soon) this provides a low level, common ground signal to the amp which is on the passenger kick panel (sits pretty high up) it is black and is about 6" X 5" X 2" and has 1 or 2 plugs in it (I think just 1 but I don't remember), if you have tweeters in the A posts they are wired in parallell to the door speakers so just ignore the fact that they are there. There is a second low level signal that goes to the sub amp mounted to the back of the subs.

Now what you need to determine is where the wires to the speakers actually originate from, if someone installed an aftermarket amp under the seat then the wires may come from there otherwise they should still be hooked up to the stock amp in the passenger kick. If they are connected at the stock amp you have the choice of using an amp integration harness (will only work if the factory amp is still good) or you can just bypass the amp by unplugging it and wiring the high level speaker outs from your aftermarket head unit to the speaker wires in the factory amp harness. You will lose the subs this route but I personally don't think your losing much!

if the speaker wires are under the seat you will need to run new wires from the head unit to there and connect them up. (repair or replace individual wires as needed)

and yes the display under the seat is your diagnostics display, search for posts on here about reading and resetting it.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Pro Wrench

so there is a separate sub amp. do you know what the other box under the passenger seat is because it is unplugged ,thats how it was when i got it

Old 05-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Pro Wrench

oh yea i ordered a haynes manual i hope that will help with the wireing schematic

Old 05-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

not sure on the older d1's 96 and newer use a different OBD system so there are different computers in different locations, don't know if there is a rave manual for your year but if there is that will help too.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Pro Wrench

i think the amp in mine is under the passenger seat, but is disconnected, the plug that curently has the speaker wires attached to it plugs into it

Old 05-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no sure about other best buys, but the three i tried told me they won't take such a job. Wanted to use them so i could use my best buy card there.

Quick Reply: stock d1 radio