Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:18 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Stock Radio

When I wired my new stereo in my D1 I used a PAC-OEM2 converter box that I ordered with my new deck from Crutchfield. It converts the high level speaker outputs to low level inputs for the amp. It works great. It also give a lot more volume than the factory deck.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While we are talking about Radios..

My 94 Disco has a whine attributed to RPM's in the radio..

Does this sound familliar to anyone..
Alternator Noise??

Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would check grounds (maybe make a new ground for the radio) also check your battery terminals. Is it factory or aftermarket? is it just the radio or do you always here it?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its Factory..
And yes I thought Ground first off, (had this problem with an aftermarket sterio in HS beater)

Yep only with the radio on..
with the radio off, I get the ever so faint, lovely song played by the T/C... such sweet gentle whiney music..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I will try to explain this the best I can and hope it helps, when you are talking about a car stereo you have 2 grounds the power ground (usually a thick black wire in USA known as "ground" or a thick brown wire in Europe commonly known there as "earth") and then you have a signal ground (one of the 2 wires connected to a speaker) A ground loop (which is the number 1 culprit for alternator whine) is caused by introducing the power ground into the signal ground. There are many reasons why this could happen the most common is chassis ground issues corroded teminals or component grounds that have worn out (if your lights dim with the music turned up this may be a place to look) I would simply scratch some paint somewhere close to the radio and pretty much screw a wire down there and attach it to the metal radio, also you may look for a difference in ground between the radio and the amp if you have one, connect a wire between the metal of the amp and the metal of the radio. there are some ground loop isolators that you could try but almost all of them are RCA's anymore so it may be tough to find one that just uses speaker wires. but I would try the first few things and go from there, and just try holding some wires in place with it on and see if it helps, you should be able to hear the difference right away.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rover Chris...
So i got the wiring harness mess straightened out. rcas to back of radio, all good. but on most radio stations the vocals are almost inaudible and the IPOD and DVD player are still not working on my Alpine IVA-W200. i get picture on the DVD but no sound, and i get the menus for the IPOD, but no sound!! i'm extremely frustrated and have never had this much trouble with a radio install before!! this radio worked perfect when i pulled it out of my VW the same day i started putting it in the Land Rover.
any ideas on what is wrong? Alpine tech support isn't even open on the weekend...lame!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would suggest double checking which RCA's are plugged in where(make sure they are plugged in to the solid fixed RCA's and not the RCA's attached to a plug). to be honest it sounds like some kind of a setting on the Alpine, I know Alpine has way more settings then most people care to have, and I have seen an issue where someone had a similar problem the setting was for rear seat entertainment so that the video would play without sound (designed to be set up with a seperate overhead video with headphones) but I am not sure on all the details as that was quite a few years back. I would imagine this issue is from the head unit since you are getting sound through the speakers, as for the radio sounding the way it does I am not sure what you have for an antenna adapter but I am sure it is the same one you had in your VW. if it is amplified, try disconnecting power to it (little blue wire on antenna adapter), a few other things to look at, if you are using the RCA's on the alpine I would suggest checking settings for Dolby, is there anything connected to the pink/black wire,white/pink wire, or the white\brown wires on the back of the unit?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Mudding

pink and black is the audio interupt wire and nothing is connected to it. i do have the blue wire hooked up for the antenna, and when i didn't i got nothing! i was wondering is it the stock amp?? thats giving me trouble? and also, i think you are right about settings on the radio, but i have checked everything. i may have to send it out to get worked on. or maybe i just scrap it and get a new one. i'd hate to do that, but if i have no choice :-(

Old 01-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

worse case scenario, having 2 amps hooked up in series could have damaged something (if it only played for a short time chances are slim and if so it would probably be the stock amp that got hurt). Now the reason I asked about the power antenna adapter is because the antenna adapter probably has an amp built in (would look like a long tube with just the blue wire coming out) and as far as I know the rovers don't need an amplifier (should just be the 2 standard diversity antennas in the back windows) and this could be causing the radio problem (not sure, I have never seen that but it makes sense to me), my next step in trouble shooting would be to try to determine (if somethings bad) what it is. I would unscrew a speaker from the door (or get one from the house if you have one) and hook it up to each one of the channels behind the alpine (high level speaker outs) individually to make sure the radio is still working, then maybe toss in the factory rover radio to see if the stock amp is working like it should.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Mudding

no adapter on the antenna. i have only one plugged into the back of the radio the other is left unhooked. no way to hook both up. and i have another radio i'll try and see what happens. it seems like extremely poor radio reception today. i'll try and let you know what else i find.

Quick Reply: Stock Radio