Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Alarm and Central Locking Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 11:45 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Strange Alarm and Central Locking Behavior

The other night, at 2:45am, the alarm on my 2001 Discovery went off. As I was running to get the keys and open the front door, it stopped by itself. About 5 seconds later it started again at which time I continued my sprint to the car and turned the key in the door to open it and shut off the alarm. I didn't see any obvious attempts by a thief to try to break in and the street was empty so I decided to lock it back up and go back to bed. When I did this, only the drivers door locked and the horn honked like there was a door open. I checked all the passenger doors and the rear door and they were all closed. Tried to lock again and same thing, horn honked an only drivers door locked. I left it like that and went back inside.

The next morning I came out and drove to work. When I got there, I went to lock the door, same thing again. Left it for the day. When I got home however, I locked it again and all doors locked and no horn. Just like that, back to normal. I feel like anyone tried to break in the first night and instead think there may have been a short somewhere in the central locking system. But I don't have the foggiest idea of why all of a sudden its working fine again. Does anyone have suggestions on what *might* cause this behavior. I have a Rave manual, but the electronic diagrams might was well be in Sanskrit.

The other great thing about that middle of the night wake-up call was a bat flew in our house when I opened the front door which took an hour and a half to remove. A story for different forum.

Thanks,

The following users liked this post:
Massrover (05-07-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 07:47 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmm same Problem... I have my battery unplugged at moment to see if it was confused... both times this happened to me was once during an electrical storm and prev rain... and this time looks to have rained overnight... not sure this has any connection... ill get out nanocom in a bit and see if i can do a reset and it work... also when I hit key fob to lock it honked and the radio came on and the light on the clock... hmmmm weird

Old 10-09-2022, 08:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

My first thought was ... was it raining?

My bet is that one of the door latches perhaps died (or the hood switch)... ?

One question - I notice you said you turned the key in the door lock to get it to lock/unlock. Does your remote fob still work?