Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange leak

Okay, rained today and with the first corner I got water dripping through the seatbelt opening on the B pillar. Looked at the other (driver's side) seatbelt and saw some moisture there as well. No water coming from the headliner at all anywhere. I would assume that if it was leaking from the sunroof drains onto the headliner it would drip out all over.

My truck has zero rust and the rain gutters look okay. Thoughts?

Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird... I have one coming from the inside of my windshield, directly in front of the driver? Intermittent and small but annoying.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Mudding

look outside of your truck where the drip rails are, if you see any cracks in the sealent, scrape off the old and add some new.if that isnt it see if your roof rack rails are loose, water could be getting in from there, I do dought it but worth looking.Also clean out your sunroof rails too.It dosnt take much for water to travel.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Three Wheeling

It's a 2004 with the tubular roof rack. Are these prone to leak? Some water does bubble out of the rubber trim where it attaches to the truck.

As for the rain gutter, I read the tech doc on looking for cracks and I'll clear silicone anything suspicious.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes the roof rails come loose and then leak, you need to drop the headliner to get to the nuts that hold them on.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

The headliner is fiberglass and is generally waterproof, my 2000 leaks at the rear sunroof, but only if I am parked "uphill." The adventure starts when I drive down the road, downhill and make a turn, the water comes gushing out of the seat belt access on the b-pillar. Got completely soaked with on the way to court one morning. I am not sure if replacing the rubber gasket around the rear sunroof would help, I alway park downhill now if there is rain in the forecast....phil

Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling

So I got a good look at the rain gutter and there are small cracks in various places. I ran a bead of Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer around the whole gutter and I'll report back.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (04-29-2020)
Old 01-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
The headliner is fiberglass and is generally waterproof, my 2000 leaks at the rear sunroof, but only if I am parked "uphill." The adventure starts when I drive down the road, downhill and make a turn, the water comes gushing out of the seat belt access on the b-pillar. Got completely soaked with on the way to court one morning. I am not sure if replacing the rubber gasket around the rear sunroof would help, I alway park downhill now if there is rain in the forecast....phil
This describes my problem to a "T", same exact thing???

Old 01-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Rock Crawling

There's a TSB on the windscreen leakage issue, I've tried to upload it.. hope it works.

I'm going to have to pick at Land Rover on the sunroof drain design. Not so much the drains themselves as the drain pan assembly. The "drain pan" is the metal bit that also contains the sunroof shades. Two of the corners are cut out of the pan then plastic boxes with the drain tubes are then attached... with silicone. No mechanical fasteners just plastic boxes with silicone. Generally this is where the issue is as the boxes separate from the pan or the silicone separates. Drop the headliner and inspect the corners re-silicone the crap out of them and you should be good to go. Really silly and fragile design in my opinion.

Attached Files
Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Also to remove the seatbelt adjuster trim you have to pull the door seal loose to get to the metal clips in order to release them.

Quick Reply: Strange leak