Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:00 AM
|
Overlanding
Default Strange noise?

I was on the trail this weekend and I heard a strang whineing noise coming from the truck, seemed like brakes or ABS system. It only happening on the trail not on the road. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:54 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Strange noise?

What year, model and mileage?????????????????
Can you give us a closer idea the general area of the noise, was it continous or maybe only when turning?
Mike

Old 05-23-2006 | 08:08 PM
TReK

It could be the transfer case low.
On the 2000 Disco II you have the LT230Q.
If it was a Disco I you would here the whineing all the time.

Old 05-23-2006 | 10:35 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

What year, model and mileage?????????????????
Can you give us a closer idea the general area of the noise, was it continous or maybe only when turning?
Mike
Durfee,
Where did you go, are you still needing help??
Landzu,
A D2 case will whine up into the upper speed range, especially when slowing down, pretty common.
I am still curious to get more info, cause if he is hearing it when wheeling, odds are there is something else going on.
Mike

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:02 PM
|
Overlanding

Disco Series 2 2000 with 75,000 miles, i had it in third gear and i was going slow and it seemed to be when i was turning like the abs was trying to do something and the noise was in the front end it only happens when i turn on dirt mud etc not on the road. thanks again for all the replys.

Durf the Newbie

Old 05-23-2006 | 11:08 PM
Administrator

Do you have ACE?
Mike

Old 05-24-2006 | 05:00 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Do you have ACE?
Mike
Couldn't be ACE off road (or at least at low speeds)

This from the Ford Site
ACTIVE CORNERING ENHANCEMENT
Myth: The suspension systems SUVs employ aren't very sophisticated.
Reality: Discovery Series II's optional Active Cornering Enhancement system is an award-winning active anti-sway bar system that is exclusive to Land Rover.

Two of Land Rover's initial goals for Discovery Series II were reduced vehicle body lean on-road and plenty of axle articulation off-road. These goals at first seem to be mutually exclusive. But Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) achieves both objectives. ACE is a unique Discovery Series II option that measures vehicle speed and lateral "g" acceleration and automatically adjusts special two-piece roll-control modules during cornering. The roll-control modules replace conventional anti-sway bars.

Anti-sway bars are designed to limit body lean in curves by restricting the overall movement of suspension components. Making the anti-sway bars too thick increases the harshness of the ride over bumps and limits the ability of the axles to articulate-travel in opposite tilt relative to each other and the vehicle. On ACE-equipped vehicles, two accelerometers-one mounted in the vehicle's headliner and the other near the floor-detect cornering forces before the body begins to lean, making the system truly active, not reactive. These sensors instruct the ACE computer to apply hydraulic pressure to a set of actuators, one on each anti-sway bar. These actuators-basically hydraulic cylinders with multiple links-apply torque to the anti-sway bars, giving them added ability to counteract vehicle body lean. It all happens in a flash. ACE can build up sufficient hydraulic pressure to counteract 1.0 g of lateral acceleration in less than 130 milliseconds.

The system is designed to virtually eliminate body lean up to about 0.4 g of lateral acceleration. Above that value, the system progressively allows more body lean to give the driver positive feedback on the vehicle's handling. This results in dramatic stability in corners, a definite benefit to driver control and passenger comfort. It also aids steering response since it keeps the vehicle's body more level to the road. And unlike conventional anti-sway bars, ACE does not affect spring rates over bumps. ACE is even sophisticated enough to vary its action depending on whether the road is rough or smooth.

Off-road, the system goes into a different mode. At speeds below about 25 mph in low range, when the accelerometers determine the vehicle is driving off pavement, the system eliminates ACE assistance, allowing the suspension to offer additional wheel travel (as if the anti-sway bars had been eliminated.) This additional wheel travel helps the vehicle's body maintain a consistent attitude, parallel to the ground.
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...rticle_id=5638

Cheers

Old 05-24-2006 | 12:05 PM
Administrator

So have you never driven over 25MPH off the road, doesn't take much to get there and believe me it will make some noise when working, especially when it hasn't been serviced in the past 15,000 miles. Rover's with ACE are know for making pump noise especially with burned fluids.
So, yes, it could be the ACE as well as many other parts on the truck, you need to start somewhere to find and illiminate noises.
Mike

Old 05-24-2006 | 01:07 PM
Mudding

When off road in my 99 D2, I have occasionally experienced a whining noise coming from one wheel or another. Just for a couple seconds at a time. I always assumed it was the traction control system applying the brakes on one wheel.
Elliot

Old 05-24-2006 | 02:38 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Elhoff

When off road in my 99 D2, I have occasionally experienced a whining noise coming from one wheel or another. Just for a couple seconds at a time. I always assumed it was the traction control system applying the brakes on one wheel.
Elliot
You're right, when the T/C kicks in the pump can whine, I have found though that using a synthetic fluid and brake flush every 20,000 miles, or so, will keep the noise down.
mike

Quick Reply: Strange noise?