Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange shimmy in the front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k, i know what im talkin about mike. the maf sensor is the proposed solution for the same problem on a chevy trail blazer. and the fuel pump, if its bad, can cause a stall i guess. at least thats my assumption. whatever the case, when i changed those two things, the car stopped shaking. it hasnt for three weeks and i continue to drive the same speeds. it is a fairly common problem from all ive seen in rovers, and it is cheaper than a lot of other solutions. i worked for mine, i hope it can help you, but thats not a guarantee of course.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 PM
5th Gear

Alright, thank you everyone for your troubleshooting tips and ideas. I'm going to try as many as possible (time, tools, and budget allowing).

Now, it seems strange, but I'm going to try the fuel pump first. The only reason I am is because my Check Engine Light is on due to a Code P0461 - A problem with the fuel level sensor. This needs to be done first anyway, so hopefully it'll kill two birds with one stone. If not, I'll try as many of the other suggestions as possible.

This forum has been exceptional so far, thank you everyone for taking the time to answer.

-Jaycee

P.S. - Yes, my DI can do 90; pretty easily, in fact! =p

Old 08-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I wouldn't fool with the fuel pump unless your pressure test shows that it's out of spec.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:47 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah seriously. If you want to track down your front end shake then the fuel pump is the last place to look. To fix my front end shake I had to replace my hub assembly (this is a DII) and replace the shocks, springs, steering damper and get new tires. Now she rides perfectly.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 PM
5th Gear

Alright, another update. Turns out all I need is the sensor, not a fuel pump, so that's out (most of you seemed to think that anyway). Sometime this week I'm going to look at the wheel bearings first, as this was a suspicion from the beginning. I need this car to last me, so I'm probably going to fix everything mentioned in this thread so far at some point anyway, haha.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Default You bet they can!

Originally Posted by Spike555
DI's can do 90?
Back when I had my DI (I was also young and dumb) I regularly had a 3 hour commute through some of the flattest straightest highways you could ever find. My average cruising speed was 105 to 110. That was pretty much pedal to the metal but it would do it and it was happy there.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by discoverytowne
Mine did the same thing. First thing is to remove the mass flow sensor, in the air intake line. clean the sensor with an aerosol spray, non chlorinated i think. try brake part cleaner maybe. the other thing is a bad fuel pump. i replaced mine myself for 100 bucks from oreilly's and it solved the problem. It's due either to a clogged filter which is ten bucks or the pump, which is 100. still not a bad deal when compared to the oem price. hope it helps.
Originally Posted by discoverytowne
k, i know what im talkin about mike. the maf sensor is the proposed solution for the same problem on a chevy trail blazer. and the fuel pump, if its bad, can cause a stall i guess. at least thats my assumption. whatever the case, when i changed those two things, the car stopped shaking. it hasnt for three weeks and i continue to drive the same speeds. it is a fairly common problem from all ive seen in rovers, and it is cheaper than a lot of other solutions. i worked for mine, i hope it can help you, but thats not a guarantee of course.
Dude, can I have some of your pot?

Last edited by 98roverguy; 08-31-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 PM
5th Gear

Ok, another update. Apparently the guy who had the car before didn't have a proper sized axle nut socket, so instead of tightening it with that, he tried to tighten it with a chisel and hammer. That being said, the axle nut was so loose we could hand turn it to get it off. This is probably most of the problem. So, tomorrow, when the correct socket comes in, my rover will have new bearings AND a tightened axle nut. This should solve my problems, thank you to anyone who contributed to this thread! I would've never found the problem if it weren't for these suggestions.