Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 discovery with shimmy shakes front end, update

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 discovery with shimmy shakes front end, update

All , first of all i want to thank everyone for the suggestions and ideas why i still have a front end shake on my 98 discovery when i get around 70 mph, i start to feel the shake in the steering wheel and gets dangerous if i hit a bump in the road. As listed before already installed new steering stabelizer and 4 tie rod ends, The Iordered from Atlantic Briish new pan hard bushings and sway bar bushing kit,and plan to do this when they come in. However i believe Disco Mike suggestion of swival ends and preload was the correct diagnosis.Local shops say this is about $1000 plus job, I must admit i dont have that kind of money right now. Ifeel i can do this job if i dont have to have any real super special tools. To me there is enough information through this forum and web access along withyour support. If any one has done this job them selves i would really like to dicuss the issue's, call me at 812-430-5744. thx Scott

Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: 98 discovery with shimmy shakes front end, update

I'm going through the same problem! I've done the following and I'm still getting the shakes:

1. Four new ball joints on the drag and track bar.
2. Four new shocks and coil shocks
3. New steering damper
4. New pan hard bushings.
5. New bearings front and rear
6. New CV's
7.I had the preloads set for all the swivel bearings and axle bearings when everything was done. (By LAND Rover dealer last week)

Mike is right, theses pre loads need to be set. It made a big differance once land rover charged me 550 bucks. Yet the shakes haven't completly stopped. The only thing I haven't done is a real good alignment and replaced more of the bushings throughout the front end (they looking alittle dry). Ive replaced a number of other parts but the above list (to my knoweldge) should have fixed the problem bynow. I'm driving a 98 LE with 115,000 miles. I've done 95% of the work myself with OEM LR parts, but I can't seem to fix this problem. It only started around 113k and I'd like it to stop as much as you. Any Other input would be much help!

I love My LR, but I want to be buriedWITH my Land rover Not by IT!

Thanks

Old 02-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Mudding

I had the same problem on my disco. I have a 96 and it happened when i went over 60mph. What i had to do we all my front bushings were bad and most split. I got some from my local Land rover dealer for a bout $2 each. The only problem i had was installing them. But when i took it to my local independent land rover place they put them on, and i have not had a problem with them since. It has been about a year now since i replaced them.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I would is check the pitman arm and the
tires, I have seen more bad and out of balance tires that will
give the same symptoms.

After everything I'm sure that has been checked ?

Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Drifting

I wanted tolet every one know who has encoutered this same problem as i have , the preload inspection and recalibrationg the preload is easier once ive researched further tonight . At the following website in the disccovery section is a few procedures to increase preload without any special tools. This whole thing can be completed in maybe 1 hour with no new parts if applicable. Good luck , hope this helps.
Check this out
www.landroversonly.com

Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Drifting

at this web site it gives step by step instuctions with pictures. for some reasons it would not let me give the web site , however this gives you enough information you should be able to get to the site.

landroversonly dot com

Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Landzu- I had new tires installed early last year. Also around the same time I had new brakes and rotors installed. Last week at the dealer I had them check the tires for balance.Plusrecheck the recent work I had performed. The Dealers take.... It's the bearing preload,pan hard rod bushings and an alignment. I'm going for the alignment and then......bushings bushings bushings!