Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange story (kinda long, hopefully entertaining )

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange story (kinda long, hopefully entertaining )

So, my gf and I are both Discovery owners. Hers is a 97 and mine an 02. Yesterday we went to run the mudathalon (5k run with 40 obstacles) and had decided to take her truck. Well, if you run the drives side window down on her truck it goes off track. She's done a good job of not doing so, but I rolled it down all the way and it went off track (mistake 1). so I decided to turn around and take my truck instead. We arrive and park in the middle of this field, the event was packed with over 3000 people. I take my single key off the ring and left the remote in the truck. Hand the key to my gf (mistake 2), we walked to meet some friends about 200 ft from where we parked and then got in line, another 200 feet. That is when my gf realized that the key was gone.

So, we all begin frantically looking for the lost key in the field. I figured since we hadn't covered much area it may not be too hard to find it. However, tons of people were coming in and parking. So, after searching for a while we gave up and called a locksmith since I didn't have a spare (mistake 3 or maybe mistake 1) I just figured since I have the remote (the key part was broken when I purchased it) and the key, it was like having 2 keys (its not).

The locksmith was not able to arrive for a few hours so we ran the race and came back after it had cleared out. We had several people helping us, but still to no avail. The locksmith showed up and worked at making a working key from the blank for about 2 hours, He was getting visibly frustrated and decided that he would jimmy the lock and pull the cylinder. However, I had "superlocked" the vehicle (mistake 4) so he couldn't get into it that way either. I've since read about this procedure and will not be doing this procedure anymore. So, the locksmith gives up and says that they will have to get the key code from the vin.

We left the truck in the field, got a ride home and I started thinking of other options. I remembered a coworker saying that she had a family member that was a locksmith. I called and they said they could come out and try the same thing tomorrow (not very hopeful). We decided to go there early with a metal detector and search for the key. We took my gfs truck. So, we begin searching for a while with no luck. Something told me to try her keys. She has 2 keys, one for the doors and one for the ignition (it came this way). I tried the ignition key first, no luck. Then I tried the door key. Her door key opened my door and then started my truck! I was and am amazed!

There was some reason that my truck wasn't supposed to be driven last night, but I thank God that her key worked in my truck. What's the odds of that? I just had to share this story with you guys, and yes I learned my lesson..... I have already made man spares.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi,
congratulations on running a 5K.
How did you place?
How did the gf place?

Sorry about your missing key.

I would take the gf's door apart.
The window is held onto the frame with a few nuts. Make sure those are tight. Then the window will not wiggle on the way down.
Or - the plastic wheels are gone on the window regulator.
Replace the window regulator. Did it once on a 1997 D1. It is doable.

Regarding you key..

If you can get in the driver's door with a key copy - then do it.

As I remember, if you are in superlock, your key will still operate the tumbler.
Not sure if the latch will lock out your key or not. It may.
If you can't then turn the driver's door as it is in superlock then this stops you cold.

If the remote is in the car - and you are sure sure sure of this.
It may be less expensive to break the window to gain access to the remote.

Which one to break?
Perhaps a rear passenger's window as the glass will all go in and that way you will not sit on glass.

Or find your 2nd remote.

But, I don't understand.

My key and remote are integrated. I can't separate them.
2001 D2

I never use superlock as I forget it is even an option on a rover.
Superlock is a BMW thing.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Three Wheeling

No, my gfs door key opened my door and works in my ignition so we are all good! How crazy is that?

also, the window is back on track.

As far as the 5k, we didnt even look at our times. Just did it for fun.
heres a video from a few years ago of the same course.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:53 PM
TReK

Wow. Did you luck out.
I think the GF had your spare remote.
If that remote starts BOTH rovers and that key works in both rovers..
Then this may be a sign..
That she is the right one for you.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:55 PM
TReK

I still can't understand how a key from a 1997 can work in a 2002?

The 1997 has a key and a remote.

The 2002 has a key/remote as one entity.
That 5k looks HARD.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Three Wheeling

I still don't understand it either, but I went and had copies made and they work in both of our vehicles! I have the 2 in 1 remote key combo too, but the key part was broke off when I got it and I've never replaced it. So I just used the remote luck and unlock the truck and the key to start it.

I'd be lying if I said I ran the entire time in that 5k! lol. Its my first ever race and although I do workout, I don't do cardio so it was a challenge.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The DI has a separate remote from the key, so does the DII, only the remote snaps over the key.
If you pry apart the DII remote, like to change the battery, you will find a little nub of a key.
There are only so many key combinations, the odds of you having the same combination for two separate model years os very slim, I'd buy a lotto ticket or five if I were you.

When I drove truck our fleet all used the same key, every driver was issued one key, he could then drive any truck and if he got locked out they could send any other driver over to him to unlock his truck.

Here is what you do, have a cheap spare key made, I have a thread on that, $5 at your hardware store.
Then using a cable tie tie it under the truck somewhere out of sight (we did this to our trucks) and if you get locked out you can break or cut the cable tie and get into and drive your truck, or your girlfriends truck.
Magnetic holders fall off, cable ties do not.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
The DI has a separate remote from the key, so does the DII, only the remote snaps over the key.
If you pry apart the DII remote, like to change the battery, you will find a little nub of a key.
There are only so many key combinations, the odds of you having the same combination for two separate model years os very slim, I'd buy a lotto ticket or five if I were you.

When I drove truck our fleet all used the same key, every driver was issued one key, he could then drive any truck and if he got locked out they could send any other driver over to him to unlock his truck.

Here is what you do, have a cheap spare key made, I have a thread on that, $5 at your hardware store.
Then using a cable tie tie it under the truck somewhere out of sight (we did this to our trucks) and if you get locked out you can break or cut the cable tie and get into and drive your truck, or your girlfriends truck.
Magnetic holders fall off, cable ties do not.

That is a good idea Spike, will do it.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Spike....can you post up that link to the thread about the cheap spare key? I only have one key and love the idea of a $5 spare key!!

Thanks!
Andy

Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Quick Reply: Strange story (kinda long, hopefully entertaining )