Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped head bolt help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 04:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stripped head bolt help

Hello and thanks in advance for the real solution and not some smartassery as im at my wits ends. The front and rear head bolts are stripped inside the darn passenger side head and i can not get them out. Any suggestions? Please help. I dont want to ride my motorcycle in the snow. Thanks

Old 10-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

I will try to not be a smart ***.

You say the bolts are stripped. As I understand the use of that term, it means that the threads on either the fastener or the hole into which it is screwed give way when the fastener is overtightened and the fastener neither tightens further nor can it be removed. It simply turns.

More common with a head bolt is that the head of the bolt gets rounded off making it difficult to remove the bolt.

Please confirm and clarify exactly what the problem is you are having with the head bolts on your truck.

Most of us here go out of our way trying to be helpful to other owners. It's not always the case, but it is most often. Please let us know the circumstances with your truck. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Overlanding

Head of the bolts. Sorry for the attitude, i have asked questions when stuck on other forums and get nothing but some serious sassy answers. I was going to go at it with a chisel but run the risk of killing the head. Just hoping someone had a better idea before i go to just beating the bolt out and probably killing a head. Thanks.

Last edited by Andythelandy; 10-03-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:34 PM
Overlanding

Also, the truck has been seriously neglected so i have replaced a ton of parts (Shocks, relays, window motors, headliner, etc) and was ready for the road, then i noticed the head leak. If i can get this squared away, next year, i actually have to weld on a new roof. Yep. That neglected. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear of the frustrations.

A good set of socket style extractors have saved me many times.

Hopefully you can get to the bolts in question.

I have a set of deep extractors. Pick the next size down (metric or sae not super relevant here). Persuade it on tightly.

Back it out.

I have a Lowe’s set. A harbor freight set. And an Amazon set. Haven’t killed one yet from any of the three.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 07:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

Yep. I've thankfully not (yet) needed to use bolt extractor for head bolts or anything else, but as written above, many here have reported great success with them. I think the set sold by Lowe's is Irwin.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:14 PM
Overlanding

Awesome folks! Thank you. Ill see about a set tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

If their TTY bolts you can also try to tighten it, and sometimes the head will snap clean off. Or just one crank on it will some times allow it to then be loosened. A good 16mm socket and see if you can get someone to press down on it to keep it from slipping.

If that gets u no where take the advice on the extractors.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

If you have access to an acetylene torch, heat the bolt, let it cool, heat it again, let it cool and spray it with WD40. The heat should break the static bond. Always use an impact, six-point socket for removing head bolts...they do not flex as much. Believe it or not...a chrome socket really gets out of shape during these types of situation, extreme torque values.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:38 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Like they said, most here are very helpful, good suggestions above. Good luck, for me, broken fasteners and frozen parts are the most frustrating parts about working on things. Bright side is that once you get those out, the rest of the HG job will be cake comparatively.

Last edited by Red5; 10-04-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Stripped head bolt help