Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck oil drain plug: How much force to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stuck oil drain plug: How much force to use?

So I slide under the truck yesterday to give her some fresh M1, and for the life of me I could not get the darn drain bolt off. Looks like the last time it was off was during a major service it had about a year ago, which included the oil pan gasket being done. Heck, maybe it was not even off at that time either. It looks to me like maybe they didn't use a washer between it and the oil pan.
I just used the Mityvac to suck out the oil so finished the oil change, but wanted to know for next time just how much pressure is safe to use. I figure these oil pans are heartier than most cars, but still, don't want a surprise bill for something silly. I could use the Mityvac each time, that is not a problem, but would like to get it off once at least!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't take advice from me, but I had the same issue when I bought mine...no washer and it was on tight! I had to use a rubber mallet on my ratchet (didn't have a breaker bar) to bang it loose. No damage for me and re-fit with the washer, good luck.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the plug is not stripped use a much force as need to break it free. Without the aluminum washer the steal on steel probably has caused some corrosion. I guess you wouldn't know that it is stripped unitl you actually did get it free. Use a large torque wrench to give you some extra leverage and go to town.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I recall I had to use a 24" breaker bar to get mine off the first time. If the threads are going to come out they are going to come out, nothing you can do. If the threads do come out it is not the end of the world either.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

OK...thanks everyone! Glad to see this isn't the only one with the issue. I was hesitant to use a big breaker bar or mallet on it as I didn't want to start the search for a new oil pan already!
I'm fine using the Mityvac for the oil as it gets every drop out anyway, but being it is so easy to get under the truck anyway changing the oil is a breeze with the drain plug so would like to give it a go. I will be swapping the oil out in a brief 1000 miles or so to get it analyzed so it will be sooner rather than later!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an aluminum oil pan, hopefully your threads have not been stripped. But be prepared to deal with that if it has. The torque should be 24# and that oil plug.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 3" adapter (so you do not bust your knuckles) and a 6 point socket head.

good excuse to buy a breaker bar if you do not have one anyway. good tool to have in the box.

Last edited by sloan74; 01-31-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 PM
TReK

Had the same issue for oil change #1....quick trip to Harbor Freight for a $10 breaker bar solved it real quick like. Good luck getting it off next time and glad you are getting to know your Disco so intimately already

Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling

how much heat can you use?...I know it's aluminum just wondering...

Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Had the same issue for oil change #1....quick trip to Harbor Freight for a $10 breaker bar solved it real quick like. Good luck getting it off next time and glad you are getting to know your Disco so intimately already
Ha! Yes, I got intimate with her on the 1st repair... a 1.5 hour ordeal to change this stupid coolant line (which I could NOW see why someone cut the line and put the adapter in instead of replacing the whole thing!).
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDE2MjAtMjAxMTAxMjYtMDEyOS5qcGc.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  96.0 KB

Quick Reply: Stuck oil drain plug: How much force to use?