Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumped: Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped: Help

Purchased at 2000 Disco II (my second LR)
Truck was getting hot and needed re-fills of coolant. Was not leaking, but using coolant very slowely (I've completed several MG Midget head gasket replacements, new about potential issues, so I thought "new HG")

Exhaust did not show signs of burning coolant.
Coolant system becomes highly pressurized.
I've had multiple issues when trying to start (starter will not turn over, as though it is seezed, but it is not)
Local shop told me the Ring gear was missing teeth (and would require me pulling the motor for replacement).

So I was thinking: Pull motor, replace ring gear and headgaskets... Should be good to go...

Before I begin,
Checked compression: One side :clean plugs, ALL 160psi. Other side : dark plugs, 150 psi, but one was 180psi. Tried with cap on the coolant system and with off, thinking I'd find one with low psi.

This does not make sense to me. Anyone have an answer?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sruff
...So I was thinking: Pull motor, replace ring gear and headgaskets... Should be good to go...

Before I begin,
Checked compression: One side :clean plugs, ALL 160psi. Other side : dark plugs, 150 psi, but one was 180psi. Tried with cap on the coolant system and with off, thinking I'd find one with low psi.

This does not make sense to me. Anyone have an answer?
"Clean plugs"? How clean? On all cylinders down one side, or just a few? This makes me think coolant is getting into those cylinders, but it from what I've read with a blown HG it's usually just a couple...

The flip side to that question is, "dark plugs"? How dark? i.e.- Like they're getting fouled, or just normal carbon build up?

Are the plugs all the same on brand/part# both sides? i.e.- Did someone (the previous owner) possibly change the plugs on ones side and not the other to cover something up or for some other reason?

I think the next/first thing I'd try is testing the coolant for exhaust gases...not sure how the issue with the starter fits though...it may be completely unrelated.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

how many miles ?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Drifting

The plugs are all the same brand, and "clean" meaning no abnormal carbon build-up or typical...
Dark meaning heavy carbon build-up. #6 would spit out fuel when I turned the motor over with plugs out, only at first, then would stop as I continued.

How do you test for exhaust gases in the coolant?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Drifting

120K miles on it. It looks like it had undergone significant work before my ownership, by someone that did not take care of it. (loose radiator, missing fan guard, not secured correctly waterpump hose, etc...)

Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you pull the block, remove the bell housing inspection plate and verify the lack of teeth, it may just be a bad starter.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Baja

to get back to your original idea; it has 120k on it and you do indeed have to pull it to replace the flywheel. Why not put head gaskest on it? it will cost you a little over $200 for a gasket set and head bolts. With the motor out it should only take a couple hours, with the motor in it's all day bending over a fender.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Drifting

That was my thinking. If I do have to pull the flywheel (will check before I pull the motor) I will replace the hg. If I don't have to pull the motor (ie flywheel is fine and just the starter), I want to make sure the issue is a blown hg before spending 8 hours bent over a fender. My confusion is the lack of compression in any one cylinder when tested? And then if I do not have a blown hg, where in the heck is the coolant going, and why is only one cylindar spouting fuel when cranking with plugs out (I would have thought none of them would have that much fuel to visably see it).

Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Winching

What's the oil look like? The coolant could be leaking into the oil.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Baja

are you sure it was fuel it was spouting? if so I would be checking to see if that injector was bad/dirty, hanging open.

Quick Reply: Stumped: Help